jammr Forum

Home of the jammr Community

• You are not logged in.

#1 Feb. 13, 2014 00:47:54

ragtimelil
Profile   Send e-mail  

Hi and Help!

OK I just downloaded this thing but I don't see how to use it. I'd like to invite someone to join, but can't see how to do that either. Isn't there a tutorial or something on how to use this?

Ragtimelil from Texas

#2 Feb. 14, 2014 09:30:06

stefanha
Profile   Send e-mail  

Hi and Help!

Hi ragetimelil,
The easiest way to get started is by joining the weekly jam session on Saturday at 19:00 UTC (1:00 PM CST). Connect your instrument or microphone to your computer and start the jammr application.

The first time you run jammr, it asks you to choose your sound settings. Afterwards you can log in and see the currently active jam sessions. Join a jam session and enjoy!

If you need help we can chat during the weekly jam session.

Stefan

#3 Feb. 14, 2014 16:23:37

ragtimelil
Profile   Send e-mail  

Hi and Help!

Thanks, but I can't find any link to get to the jam. I also can't find any link to invite my sister to join. What am I missing?

#4 Feb. 14, 2014 23:02:36

voneeden
Profile   Send e-mail  

Hi and Help!

Deleted

#5 Feb. 15, 2014 14:50:45

stefanha
Profile   Send e-mail  

Hi and Help!

Hi ragtimelil and voneeden,
Thanks for hanging in there. The jammr community is still relatively small so there are times when no one is online to jam with. As everyone shares jammr with their friends we grow and there are more people to jam with.

The good news is that new people are joining every single day. Finding people online is becoming easier!

You can jam with your sister anytime:
1. Make sure you have both downloaded and installed jammr.
2. Start the jammr application on your computer, log in, and you'll see the list of jam sessions.
3. Select a public jam session (just the first one on the list) and when your sister starts the jammr application she will see you in the jam session.
4. She just needs to join the same jam session and you'll be able to hear each other a few seconds after joining.

Have fun!
Stefan

PS: Remember the weekly jam session every Saturday at 19:00 UTC where others will definitely be online.

#6 Feb. 20, 2014 02:54:54

ragtimelil
Profile   Send e-mail  

Hi and Help!

voneeden
Hi RagtimelilI just joined too and can't find any links to join a jam. I can only play along to the click for so long : ) Are you playing at the moment?
How did you get it to click? I can't even do that. I can't get anything to happen. Well, my sister did join and we could see the activity, but neither of us could hear anything.

Also: the blue bars at the bottom on mine stayed at the first bar. On hers, they kept cycling.

Edited ragtimelil (Feb. 20, 2014 03:00:42)

#7 Feb. 21, 2014 10:22:17

stefanha
Profile   Send e-mail  

Hi and Help!

ragtimelil
How did you get it to click? I can't even do that. I can't get anything to happen.

The click is the metronome. If you cannot hear it then your sound settings are not working.

To change sound settings:
1. Disconnect from a jam session (if you are currently connected).
2. Go to File | Settings…
3. In the Audio settings panel you can select the Input and Output devices.
4. If you have problems, try changing the sample rate (44100 or 48000 usually work best) and latency (between 10-20 milliseconds usually work best).
5. Now close the Settings dialog and try connecting to a jam session.
6. You should see the metronome bar (the blue bars at the bottom) cycling and hear the metronome click.
7. If it didn't work and you are on Windows, try again but change the “Audio system” between “Windows WDM-KS”, “Windows WASAPI”, “Windows DirectSound”, or “MME”.

If it still does not work, please post which operating system you are on (Windows Vista, Mac OS X, etc) and how you are connecting your instrument/microphone to your computer (Guitar and headphones connected to Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 USB recording interface, etc).

ragtimelil
Also: the blue bars at the bottom on mine stayed at the first bar. On hers, they kept cycling.

The blue bar is the metronome bar. It shows you which beat you are on and starts over at the end of the interval.

#8 Feb. 21, 2014 19:21:32

ragtimelil
Profile   Send e-mail  

Hi and Help!

Got the metronome to work.
But when I try to play it's just a big roar. May not have the right kind of microphone. Getting discouraged.
Thanks for your help though.

#9 Feb. 22, 2014 07:13:55

stefanha
Profile   Send e-mail  

Hi and Help!

ragtimelil
Got the metronome to work.

Great!

ragtimelil
But when I try to play it's just a big roar. May not have the right kind of microphone.

Have you tried recording with another program?

Try the built-in sound recorder that comes with Windows or Mac, or a recording program like Audacity, REAPER, GarageBand, Ableton, etc if you have one installed. This will let you confirm that your audio setup is good.

If you hear the same poor quality audio when using other software, check if your input volume is too high or use a different input on the soundcard (if possible). The soundcards built in to regular computers usually produce low-quality recordings. There are many USB soundcards for around $100 that can do high-quality recording (M-Audio, Alesis, Tascam, etc).

#10 July 2, 2014 14:47:44

Pasquale-one
Profile   Send e-mail  

Hi and Help!

Hi guys, this is the first time I use this wonderful program, I am not a professional musician, I play as a hobby the drums and bass and I live in Italy, I would like to record the jam sessions with REAPER but when they start with JAMMR no longer works nothing, perhaps because Reaper is set up to use ASIO4ALL? Jammr while using WASAPI? I thank those who answer me or I will give you a good solution, I'll see you Saturday

Board footer

Moderator control