jammr Forum

Home of the jammr Community

• You are not logged in.

#1 April 13, 2015 15:45:19

Cri
Profile   Send e-mail  

Problem running jammr on linux: jack server required?

And here is the output of gdb when running your non-stripped binary of jammr

Instruments: one-handed keyboards, percussions, found objects :P

Attachments:
attachment jammr_stefanha.txt (10.0 KB)

#2 April 14, 2015 08:48:36

stefanha
Profile   Send e-mail  

The stack trace shows the sound settings dialog being displayed. This is normal on first start. The program itself is not hanging (e.g. infinite loop or deadlock).

Is there anything that could affect how or where windows are displayed, for example X11 Forwarding, remote desktop, or a window manager?

Have you tried on another machine?

Stefan

#3 April 19, 2015 20:31:29

Cri
Profile   Send e-mail  

Is there anything that could affect how or where windows are displayed, for example X11 Forwarding, remote desktop, or a window manager?

I'm running a plain normal X window manager (icewm), no particular features (remote desktop etc).

But I've now noticed that when I run jammr, I get these error messages in my ~/.xsession-errors :

Warning: app trying to map XEmbed window 0x2E00005, ignoring
Warning: app trying to map XEmbed window 0x2E0000A, ignoring

Googling leads to this: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=225187 which might (or might not) give you some hints…

Cri (still jamming alone, but still hopeful )

#4 April 20, 2015 08:32:35

stefanha
Profile   Send e-mail  

There is also an old bug about a compatibility problem between IceWM and Qt5:
https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-32269

It looks like it was fixed in IceWM.

Perhaps you have another window manager installed, like the default twm window manager? If jammr works then I'm afraid you are affected by this bug. You could check the IceWM version and try the latest one.

Stefan

#5 April 20, 2015 11:22:25

Cri
Profile   Send e-mail  

Cool, I've upgraded icewm and now jammr works! Thank you very much!!!
Now I just have to find out how to remove the noise from my soundcard, but this will be the subject of another thread!

Edited Cri (April 20, 2015 11:22:58)

#6 April 25, 2015 13:04:39

Cri
Profile   Send e-mail  

Cri
Now I just have to find out how to remove the noise from my soundcard, but this will be the subject of another thread!

Well think I will add something here about this, since it might help other people running pulseaudio on Linux.

Short summary: I couldn't manage to get jammr working nicely with pulseaudio and a decent latency; I have to disable pulseaudio temporarily and have jammr use my ALSA soundcard device directly.

The details: I'm running jammr 1.2.4 (the .deb package available on the website) on a Debian wheezy/sid system, running the pulseaudio (5.0) sound server (hardware is a Asus EEE 1215 netbook)

If I configure jammr to use the pulseaudio virtual ALSA device (“pulse”, or “default”) I can only manage to run it with the latency set to the largest value (or sometimes with the second-largest), which prevents playing decently. If I select a lower latency value, I soon get an infinite flow of error messages in the xterm:
ALSA lib pcm.c:7843:(snd_pcm_recover) underrun occurred
, and the jammr client gets unresponsive, so I have to disconnect and kill it.

I suspected my CPU is not fast enough to manage jammr + pulseaudio at low latency, so I tried various tips I found to configure pulseaudio to use less CPU power, but with no results.

So I tried bypassing pulseaudio, and have jammr access my soundcard via ALSA directly; fortunately this is very convenient using the “pasuspender” utility (included in pulseaudio), you don't need to kill the pulseaudio daemon or uninstall the package!

Just run:

pasuspender -- jammr

and pulseaudio will be suspended while jammr is running.

Then go to jammr settings, and select your ALSA device addresses for input/output (hw=0.0 in my case) and your preferred sampling and latency values. This way, I can run jammr at 11ms latency, which is very good!

When you quit jammr, pulseaudio will resume working again (so other audio applications will still behave as expected).

#7 April 27, 2015 07:18:16

stefanha
Profile   Send e-mail  

Great, glad you got it working. PulseAudio is not designed for low-latency.

ALSA works great for straight recording/playback. If you also want to route audio between applications then JACK is the best solution on Linux.

Stefan

Board footer

Moderator control