jammr Forum

Home of the jammr Community

• You are not logged in.
  • Root
  • » Technical support
  • » Possible bug? "Send" always on at startup, regardless of state of the "Send" button [RSS Feed]

#1 April 25, 2015 12:44:20

Cri
Profile   Send e-mail  

Possible bug? "Send" always on at startup, regardless of state of the "Send" button

Hi, it seems that jammr always sends my audio to the jam session when I first connect to it, even if my “Send” button is unselected.
To avoid sending my audio I have to select and unselect the “Send” button, and from then on, the button works as expected.

I observed this last week, but I thought it was due to frequent crashes of the jammr client (my local ALSA system was not configured properly), and I thought maybe when the client crashes it loses track of the Send state.

Yesterday I fixed my system, so jammr doesn't crash anymore, but I experienced the same bug (confirmed by other people in the chat), so it seems there's something wrong.

Steps to reproduce:
* Unselect the “Send” button, and quit jammr nicely (BTW I can see that in ~/.config/jammr/jammr.conf the state of “enableXmit” is set properly)
* Start jammr and connect to a session
* The “Send” button is always off (and so it's enableXmit), but people in the chat say they hear me
* Select the “Send” button: people still hear me
* Unselect the “Send” button: people won't hear me anymore
* From now on, the button works OK

Anyone experienced this? I'm running the jammr 1.2.4 .deb package downloaded from the website.

Instruments: one-handed keyboards, percussions, found objects :P

#2 April 27, 2015 07:30:47

stefanha
Profile   Send e-mail  

Possible bug? "Send" always on at startup, regardless of state of the "Send" button

Thanks for reporting the bug. A fix will be released in jammr 1.2.5 over the next few days.

#3 April 27, 2015 07:38:04

stefanha
Profile   Send e-mail  

By the way, the code change is here:
https://github.com/wahjam/wahjam/pull/131

A jammr update will be released in a few days after testing and considering other bug fixes/improvements.

#4 April 27, 2015 12:01:52

Cri
Profile   Send e-mail  

Thanks for fixing it! I forgot to suggest a small visual improvement to the send/metronome buttons: the color shade used when the buttons are active is a bit too light, making difficult to see if the button is on or off when you are playing and you are not close to the computer screen (especially if the screen is tilted). I would use a darker tone/color for the “on” state.

#5 April 27, 2015 14:28:36

stefanha
Profile   Send e-mail  

Thanks for the suggestion!

I think this change will have to wait for the new user interface, because they are currently “native” buttons. Their look depends on the operating system and user's settings. A color that looks good on a default Windows machine might look very strange on Mac, for example. The new UI will be 100% custom widgets so it will be possible to make these changes consistently across all platforms.

#6 April 27, 2015 17:32:29

Cri
Profile   Send e-mail  

Ah I see. Thanks for explaining. As a workaround, I found I can pass the qt “-style” option to jammr, so running

jammr -style gtk+
gives a slightly better view on my system.

Edited Cri (April 27, 2015 17:32:50)

• Root
  • » Technical support
  • » Possible bug? "Send" always on at startup, regardless of state of the "Send" button[RSS Feed]

Board footer

Moderator control