jammr Forum

Home of the jammr Community

• You are not logged in.

#1 June 27, 2014 17:15:54

xxclipper
Profile   Send e-mail  

How to User Video?

Maybe i'm over complicating the issue, but a video on the website that shows a user logging on, and joining a session, or …especially… creating a session and connecting with a friend to join that session, would be awesome. I just joined and haven't tried it out yet, but I'm unclear on how to do these things just by looking over the website a few times… From an advertising/sales point of view, you want a prospective user to say, “Oh I see! That'll be easy… I can see exactly how to do this!” just by scanning your website… Looks like an awesome idea though!! Hope to be joining in soon!! -Paul

#2 June 28, 2014 05:10:27

stefanha
Profile   Send e-mail  

How to User Video?

xxclipper
Maybe i'm over complicating the issue, but a video on the website that shows a user logging on, and joining a session, or …especially… creating a session and connecting with a friend to join that session, would be awesome. I just joined and haven't tried it out yet, but I'm unclear on how to do these things just by looking over the website a few times… From an advertising/sales point of view, you want a prospective user to say, “Oh I see! That'll be easy… I can see exactly how to do this!” just by scanning your website… Looks like an awesome idea though!! Hope to be joining in soon!! -Paul

Hi Paul,
Thanks for your feedback!

The “How to jam together online using jammr” video has a short summary:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEnnIgFZXao

I think you'd like to see a real overview of how to use jammr. I hope to make a video like that in the future.

In the meantime, try joining the weekly jam session on Saturdays at 19:00 UTC. There are people online during that time who can help you set up your audio or learn about jammr. Here is more info on the weekly jam session:
http://forum.jammr.net/topic/322/

Do you have any specific questions I can answer for you?

Thanks again for the feedback, it's good to know where we need to invest more effort to reach our goal of helping musicians jam together online.

Stefan

#3 May 8, 2015 02:20:25

gregorybcatanzaro
Profile   Send e-mail  

How to User Video?

does it work with video?

#4 May 8, 2015 06:13:30

stefanha
Profile   Send e-mail  

How to User Video?

gregorybcatanzaro
does it work with video?

jammr has audio and a text chat for communication during the jam. There is currently no video.

#5 Oct. 20, 2017 00:39:15

ptinker
Profile   Send e-mail  

How to User Video?

I agree on the need for a better “how-to” video or at least a page explaining how to connect to an existing jam, how to start a new one, how to disconnect and how to close a jam. The existing video leaves out all the cursor movements so things seem to happen magically. Where is the “send” button explained? What does it do? What are slots? How do the different latency values differ in their effect? The “Connect to Server” window actually connects to the server before the window appears – otherwise you wouldn't be able to display the existing jam info. Does double-clicking on a jam do the same thing as clicking the “connect” button on that page?

#6 Oct. 20, 2017 12:57:20

stefanha
Profile   Send e-mail  

How to User Video?

Good questions, answers below:

Where is the “send” button explained? What does it do?

It toggles whether or not your audio is sent to other users. If you disable Send then the others will not hear you. This is useful if you want to try out a few notes to find the key of the song or are trying to figure out the chord progression.

What are slots?

“Slots” means how many users are currently connected and the maximum number of users that can connect to the jam session.

How do the different latency values differ in their effect?

Please see this post: https://forum.jammr.net/topic/1115/

Does double-clicking on a jam do the same thing as clicking the “connect” button on that page?

Yes

#7 Oct. 21, 2017 00:20:44

ptinker
Profile   Send e-mail  

How to User Video?

Thanks for the quick response. Any answers to the questions in my first sentence?

#8 Oct. 23, 2017 17:48:19

stefanha
Profile   Send e-mail  

How to User Video?

ptinker
connect to an existing jam, how to start a new one, how to disconnect and how to close a jam

After logging in the “Connect to server…” dialog wil appear. Double-click on a jam session in the list or select it and click “Connect”. The “New jam” button creates a private jam session.

You can disconnect from the current jam session by going to File | Disconnect (on Windows) or jammr | Disconnect (on macOS). To get back to the “Connect to server…” dialog once disconnected, go to File | Connect… (on Windows) or jammr | Connect… (on macOS).

#9 Oct. 24, 2017 01:00:15

ptinker
Profile   Send e-mail  

How to User Video?

Thanks again for the fast response. Assuming you are the only member of a jam, how long after you disconnect does the jam disappear?

It's not clear to me whether the server sends audio data from each other musician, or if it performs some mix opteration and sends the result to all musicians. Put another way, if there are m musicians, are there m streams feeding into the server? Are the m streams mixed at the server (consistent with the latency-hiding protocol) down to one and sent to each of the m musicians, or does each musician get (m-1) streams corresponding the other (m-1) musicians and can then mix them locally?
- Pete

#10 Oct. 25, 2017 05:36:12

stefanha
Profile   Send e-mail  

How to User Video?

Assuming you are the only member of a jam, how long after you disconnect does the jam disappear?

Empty jams may disappear after about 90 seconds. jammr tries to keep a number of empty public jam sessions available so that there is always space to play if you don't want to join a jam where other users are already playing.

It's not clear to me whether the server sends audio data from each other musician, or if it performs some mix opteration and sends the result to all musicians.

Mixing happens locally on each client. This allows the client to mute/unmute other users immediately with no communication delay.

Board footer

Moderator control