jammr Forum

Home of the jammr Community

• You are not logged in.

#1 Nov. 27, 2015 09:43:30

adi
Profile   Send e-mail  

One year on jammr report

As an absolute beginner jammr platform was very interesting during first one year playing.
+
I was motivated to play more often than alone
I learned a lot about how songs are made (chord progressions, scales, chords)
I learned a lot of new songs
I met a lot of great musicians that became models for me along with famous singers
I played a lot of music styles according to jam sessions trends
I leaned a lot about computers, drivers, recordings and editing music (thanks for all advice thorough forum and chat)
I learned something about jam (very difficult indeed)
I listen often to live music from home
I love chatting with others musicians
-
I did´t find a band of my own
I cannot be compatible with other musicians high skills
I cannot get a decent sound for guitar and keyboard (there is info behind jammr app I cannot afford)
I cannot use jammr app as a learning platform

I like ukulele, recorder, guitar, drum, piano (absolute beginner)

Edited adi (Nov. 27, 2015 09:44:22)

#2 Nov. 28, 2015 05:05:05

stefanha
Profile   Send e-mail  

One year on jammr report

Hi adi,
Regarding jamming on a budget, I recently had to switch from guitar to keyboard due to travel. I couldn't bring along my guitar, MIDI floorboard, and USB recording interface. The good news is you can get good quality audio and tones at reasonable cost.

I got the Akai MPK Mini MkII:

It is a USB MIDI device. No audio interface is necessary, you can use a laptop internal soundcard.

The software I use is Linux, JACK for audio routing, and LMMS as the effects host. LMMS comes with ZynSubAddFX, Amsynth, and several other synthesizer instruments built in. It also has a sampler for drums. It supports SF2 if you have piano or other sampled instruments. It is free software.

The tones aren't high-end but I can get decent synths, rhodes piano, organ, chiptune, and drums. I'm not 100% happy with the piano yet but will keep tweaking the SF2 piano and reverb/EQs I have.

The keyboard is good for playing synths. You can't play classical piano since it only has 25 keys.

The drum pads are cool. I have used it with Hydrogen (free drum machine software) and it sounded nice.

Total cost: 80-90 EUR

Stefan

#3 Nov. 28, 2015 05:13:53

stefanha
Profile   Send e-mail  

One year on jammr report

Regarding technique (skill), it takes practice outside jammr to learn to play cleanly and have good control over the instrument.

If the only time you practice your instrument is on jammr, then it's hard to learn the basics that should be done slowly with a metronome and repeated often to develop techique.

If you spend 30-45 minutes twice a week practicing offline and then jam on Friday/Saturday, I'm sure you'll reach a level where you feel comfortable and happy with your jamming.

jammr teaches me about improvization, music theory, and playing with others, but it doesn't replace practicing scales, chord transitions, and playing along with songs to build technique.

There are lots of guitar, piano, etc lessons on YouTube. Or you can find books on learning to play an instrument online. It helps to have a teacher but can be expensive, so video/books are an alternative.

#4 Nov. 28, 2015 13:32:42

adi
Profile   Send e-mail  

One year on jammr report

Thanks for all your answers at my comment. i am not as unhappy as the other jammers for my lack of skills but i must try to get some progress.

stefanha
The keyboard is good for playing synths. You can't play classical piano since it only has 25 keys.

The drum pads are cool. I have used it with Hydrogen (free drum machine software) and it sounded nice.

Total cost: 80-90 EUR
shure! if i will find one at this price i will buy one. i will follow akai site find a shop. plaiyng with one hand is nice for me to start.
stefanha
The software I use is Linux, JACK for audio routing, and LMMS as the effects host. LMMS comes with ZynSubAddFX, Amsynth, and several other synthesizer instruments built in. It also has a sampler for drums. It supports SF2 if you have piano or other sampled instruments. It is free software.

lovely software!!! i created a chord progression loop in 15 minutes with no experience. till i buy a linux machine i installed under win 10.

stefanha
If you spend 30-45 minutes twice a week practicing offline and then jam on Friday/Saturday, I'm sure you'll reach a level where you feel comfortable and happy with your jamming.

you are right. i didn´t do that. i will try next year. for a musical point a view getting fluent need a lot of time so several years are not too much!

I like ukulele, recorder, guitar, drum, piano (absolute beginner)

Edited adi (Nov. 28, 2015 13:33:10)

#5 Nov. 29, 2015 04:27:18

stefanha
Profile   Send e-mail  

One year on jammr report

adi
shure! if i will find one at this price i will buy one. i will follow akai site find a shop. plaiyng with one hand is nice for me to start.

Other brands (Behringer, m-audio, Korg, Alesis) make similar devices. I'm not sure if the Akai MPK Mini MkII is the best value because I didn't have a lot of time to shop around before departing on my trip. Maybe you can find a similar device in the 60-80 EUR range.

It's worth reading reviews though because the velocity sensitive keys/pads can be of varying quality. If they don't respond well then it won't be satisfying to play due to lack of control over the instrument.

#6 Oct. 8, 2022 05:41:54

HighAction

One year on jammr report

What like a Spork ?

Board footer

Moderator control