jammr Forum

Home of the jammr Community

• You are not logged in.

#1 June 1, 2017 16:46:22

stefanha
Profile   Send e-mail  

Do I have to set BPM when there is a drum beat?

Can I assume that when I play with a drum beat that's not the same BPM as the jammr metronome that others hear me in time?

No. You will be in sync only if:

1. You play at the same tempo as jammr's Beats Per Minute (BPM) setting.
2. The chord progression has the same number of beats as jammr's Beats per Interval (BPI) setting.

You can change jammr's BPM/BPI settings from the Vote menu. Others
need to vote in order for the change to become effective. Voting
ensures that no one can sabotage or disrupt the jam session by
changing the settings.

It is not necessary to play on jammr's metronome click as long as you
are playing at jammr's tempo (BPM). That means you can disable the
metronome if there is a drum pattern playing at jammr's BPM - and the
drum pattern doesn't need to start on jammr's metronome click.

Some examples of setting BPI:

If the chord progression is Am F C G in 4/4 time signature then there
are 4 bars x 4 beats/bar = 16 beats. Make sure the BPI setting is 16.

If the chord progression is a 12-bar blues in 4/4 time signature then
BPI must be 12 x 4 = 48 beats.

Usually we stick to BPI 16 because many good chord progressions need
only 4 bars. Sometimes BPI 32 is useful for fitting 8 bars of music.

Edited stefanha (March 18, 2020 15:20:06)

#2 March 7, 2018 21:22:49

twinwave
Profile   Send e-mail  

Hi, I played on a jam for the first time the other night (Sat 3 March) and though I felt that I stayed at the right BPM but when I listened back to the track recording I was way off (I mean really way off). Was I doing something wrong? no one seemed to object to the playing but I am not sure what happened to the recording. I would love to set up a drum/percussion test with some other tight percussionists that I know but need to know if there was any glitch in the recording? cool jam by the way, I enjoyed the live stuff, best regards paul

#3 March 11, 2018 07:25:17

stefanha
Profile   Send e-mail  

Hi Paul,
What you described is exactly what happens when the tempo (BPM) or beats per interval (BPI) are not set to match the playing. If you follow the advice of this post then jams will be in sync.

#4 June 6, 2019 00:49:03

glennstocks
Profile   Send e-mail  

Hello im very new trying to set up a jam with a buddy, the instructions are very vague to me i have tried to watch the how to videos many times and just don't understand . is there anyone i can talknto to get me through this process please Glenn Stocks 321-537-7134 i think this would be great fun

#5 July 2, 2019 18:52:49

stefanha
Profile   Send e-mail  

glennstocks
Hello im very new trying to set up a jam with a buddy, the instructions are very vague to me i have tried to watch the how to videos many times and just don't understand . is there anyone i can talknto to get me through this process please Glenn Stocks 321-537-7134 i think this would be great fun

Hi glennstocks,
Have you recorded yourself on your computer before? Connecting your instrument or microphone is similar to when you want to record on your computer.

The steps are:
1. Connect your instrument or microphone.
2. Launch jammr and log in.
3. Select a jam session to join from the list.
4. Play! The “Send” button in the bottom right corner of the jammr window determines whether others can hear you - make sure it's enabled if you want to be heard.

You can set which soundcard to use for recording and playback in jammr's File | Settings… | Audio dialog. The audio settings can only be changed when you're not in a jam session.

#6 Feb. 5, 2020 22:29:00

shredmas
Profile   Send e-mail  

How do I change my email associated with my account?

#7 Feb. 6, 2020 08:13:46

stefanha
Profile   Send e-mail  

shredmas
How do I change my email associated with my account?

Hi shredmas,
Please send an email to info@jammr.net from your old email address. Please mention your username and new email address.

#8 March 17, 2020 00:04:04

gbest56
Profile   Send e-mail  

Hi Folks,

New to this software and would like to know if i can use it for holding remote rehearsals for a band.
If so, what would be the steps we would have to take so we could all play together?
We have to use this kind of format due to the Covid19 Pandemic.

Thanks in advance for your guidance.

gbest56

#9 March 18, 2020 14:33:14

stefanha
Profile   Send e-mail  

Hi gbest56,
jammr is designed for jamming to a chord progression (usually 4 or 8 bars). It is not suitable for rehearsing entire songs consisting of multiple chord progressions or key changes.

This is because jammr is live but not real-time. Everyone hears a time-shifted version of the jam. This overcomes internet lag but you won't have the same experience as playing together in real life.

#10 March 29, 2020 20:13:27

WS
Profile   Send e-mail  

Hi Stefanha,

I appreciate the sticky that you posted about BPM. I wonder if there is a way for you to re-emphasize the importance of this to all in the Jammr community.

The other night I spoke with some good players who have been on Jammr for years but they were saying that the BPM doesn't matter. I beg to differ with them. Your sticky also proves them wrong. I posted in my Introduction about this but no one has even replied.

I tried to explain this during a jam session and no one seemed to feel that it mattered what the BPM was set to. Or they didn't seem to understand what I was talking about or how to change or match the BPM. Well it's no wonder that everything sounds so out of sync.

CAN YOU PLEASE RE-EXPLAIN THE IMPORTANCE OF THE BPM CLOCK ASSOCIATED WITH EACH SESSION?

Thanks in advance,
WS

Board footer

Moderator control