jammr Forum

Home of the jammr Community

• You are not logged in.

#1 March 20, 2020 01:51:04

edemco9
Profile   Send e-mail  

Sound starts and then stops

I'm a new user and I have an interesting problem. When I come into a Public Jam, I can hear everyone for a few seconds and then the sound cuts out. My system is:
- Ubuntu 18.04 OS
- ALSA sound
- 64 bit

Using settings, I've tried options other than default. Default seems to work best. I've set the mic down and off. I've set the speakers medium and high. Once, I heard someone comment that I caused some feedback, but then the sound quit. I couldn't ask if setting the mic lower helped.

I've used chat and asked if I could be heard and others have asked if they could be heard, but the answer is always no.

Suggestions?

#2 March 20, 2020 08:46:16

stefanha
Profile   Send e-mail  

Welcome edemco9,
Please use headphones to avoid feedback when using a microphone.

I recommend using JACK on Linux. ALSA can work well but nowadays it usually runs through PulseAudio, which is not designed for real-time audio.

JACK works best when the sound device you want to use for jammr is not being used by PulseAudio. You can tell PulseAudio not to use a specific sound device with the pavucontrol utility. Then use qjackctl to run JACK on that sound device. When you launch jammr you should see that the JACK audio system is available.

Another reason to use JACK is that you can route audio between applications. This allows you to use software instruments, loopers, effects, etc together with jammr.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Edited stefanha (March 20, 2020 08:46:41)

#3 March 21, 2020 00:18:25

edemco9
Profile   Send e-mail  

Thanks for getting back to me. I forgot to indicate that I was using a headset, as you suggested.

While I knew about JACK and used it a couple of years ago, I forgot. Thanks for reminding me. It will take a few hours to figure out JACK!

Based on your comments I will look forward to more than a few seconds of sound.

Thanks

Board footer

Moderator control