jammr Forum

Home of the jammr Community

• You are not logged in.

#1 Sept. 20, 2014 22:42:34

stefanha
Profile   Send e-mail  

How to announce your own jam session

This forum section is for announcing jam sessions ahead of time so that others can join in.

Anyone can announce a public jam session here. Other jammr users will be able to find out about and join your session.

Here are tips for announcing your jam sessions and getting great musicians from around the world to join them!

Announce at least 24 hours in advance
Make sure to post at least 1 day before the scheduled time. This way people have time to see your post on the forum and can plan to join.

Use the full date
Include a full date like Friday, September 26th so it is clear when your jam will take place. As obvious as it sounds, it's easy to forget this so double-check that you got the date right.

Link to a world clock
People from around the world use jammr and they live in different time zones. When you post a time without a time zone like “3 pm” they will not know what time that is in their time zone.

The easiest solution is to post a world clock link:
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20140920T1900

The link has a time in the UTC (also known as GMT) timezone. You can adjust the time in the link, the format is YYYYMMDDTHHMM:

• YYYY - the year (2014)
  • MM - the month number (September is 09)
  • DD - the day number (20)
  • HH - the hour number in the 00 to 24 clock (also known as military time)
  • MM - the minute number (00)

Once you have created a link, click it and check that the time is correct before you post.

Edited stefanha (Sept. 20, 2014 22:43:30)

#2 March 23, 2020 20:20:52

swolf
Profile   Send e-mail  

I'm totally new to this. Thanks for this protocol! Can you also describe how to set up a private jam?

#3 March 24, 2020 09:15:20

stefanha
Profile   Send e-mail  

Hi swolf,
You can pre-announce special jam sessions on this forum but it's not necessary. Most people just launch jammr and play with whoever is online at the time.

You can create a private jam session by clicking “New jam” in the Connect dialog. Use the Admin | Access Control menu item to control who is allowed to join your private jam.

#4 March 24, 2020 16:26:45

Loud-Mark
Profile   Send e-mail  

stefanha
Hi swolf,You can pre-announce special jam sessions on this forum but it's not necessary. Most people just launch jammr and play with whoever is online at the time.You can create a private jam session by clicking “New jam” in the Connect dialog. Use the Admin | Access Control menu item to control who is allowed to join your private jam.

Hello
I am new to this and looking for a platform for my band to utilise while the corona virus has everything locked down.
We need to set up a private jam but it is not clear where “New Jam” selection is?
Do you have a step by step user guide as I'm just getting lost and loosing the will to live? Sorry

#5 March 24, 2020 16:45:31

swolf
Profile   Send e-mail  

I’m still lost. Where is the “connect” dialogue?

#6 March 25, 2020 09:47:43

stefanha
Profile   Send e-mail  

Hi Loud-Mark and swolf,
Please install jammr from https://jammr.net/download.html.

When you launch the jammr application it first asks you to log in with your username and password.

Then you will see a “Connect to server…” dialog where you can join existing jam sessions. There is also a “New jam” button that you can click to create a private jam.

#7 March 26, 2020 10:09:45

odessamay
Profile   Send e-mail  

Hi everyone! I'm new to this too. How do online jam sessions work once everyone gets together? What happens?
I know it's a big question so thanks to anyone who replies!!

#8 March 26, 2020 17:29:47

stefanha
Profile   Send e-mail  

Hi odessamay,
Have you installed jammr (https://jammr.net/download.html)?

When you launch the program you can connect to a jam session. jammr is designed for improvising over a chord progression. Usually someone will post a chord progression in the chat so others can play along. We take turns soloing and we change it up every once in a while. That's how jamming works with jammr!

#9 March 27, 2020 08:10:53

odessamay
Profile   Send e-mail  

stefanha
Hi odessamay,Have you installed jammr (https://jammr.net/download.html)?When you launch the program you can connect to a jam session. jammr is designed for improvising over a chord progression. Usually someone will post a chord progression in the chat so others can play along. We take turns soloing and we change it up every once in a while. That's how jamming works with jammr!

Thanks for the helpful tips!! I just downloaded Jammer & I think I have a much better idea of how to get started now!

#10 March 28, 2020 16:03:59

Cobbyco
Profile   Send e-mail  

I've been playing with this today and making progress so I thought I'd set out my findings!

Once you are in the app you need too set your audio input before joining a jam.

If you go to the menu bar and select jammr - preferences - audio you should see an input device box. This will normally just be the internal mic (not recommended) but if you have plugged in a USB interface that will also show up. I use an iRig HD2 which is very effective.

Also in the menu bar, if you then click file - connect you will get the list of live jams to choose from.

Make sure you have headphones plugged in to hear the blended output.

Finally, it's important to appreciate that this works by defining a specific chord progression, set the total number of beats and the tempo and make sure you use the metronome if there is no drummer online. See below

https://forum.jammr.net/topic/1724/

Hope this helps

Board footer

Moderator control