jammr Forum

Home of the jammr Community

• You are not logged in.

#1 March 27, 2020 14:20:24

moltar0910
Profile   Send e-mail  

getting started...

Hello all I've just registered and have never done live stream playing. I'm looking for the best/easiest way to mic drums, I have a Mac Pro with 2 thunderbolt ports. I have a little Tascam DP-006, will that work or will I get latency? Thanks!

Edited moltar0910 (March 27, 2020 14:22:47)

#2 March 27, 2020 15:41:23

CandiceKenne
Profile   Send e-mail  

getting started...

I've just started and I want to jam with my bandmates remotely….I don't know if I can do it, without an interface, using my laptop's on board sound and mic…??? help…on the main page I don't see how to connect>>>with others

#3 March 28, 2020 07:00:37

alex.goraieb
Profile   Send e-mail  

getting started...

I'm trying to do the same… is there an instruction manual to Jammr?? would like to plug my electric drums into jammr… and send invites to the rest of my band

#4 March 29, 2020 05:34:55

stefanha
Profile   Send e-mail  

getting started...

moltar0910
Hello all I've just registered and have never done live stream playing. I'm looking for the best/easiest way to mic drums, I have a Mac Pro with 2 thunderbolt ports. I have a little Tascam DP-006, will that work or will I get latency? Thanks!

Using jammr is similar to recording on your computer. It appears the Tascam DP-006 has a Line Out that can be connected to a computer or sound interface. The USB on the Tascam DP-006 cannot be used for live recording.

I recommend trying to record yourself in Garageband or your favorite DAW first and when you are happy with your tone then switching to jammr is easy.

#5 March 29, 2020 05:37:02

stefanha
Profile   Send e-mail  

getting started...

CandiceKenne
I've just started and I want to jam with my bandmates remotely….I don't know if I can do it, without an interface, using my laptop's on board sound and mic…??? help…on the main page I don't see how to connect>>>with others

jammr can use built-in soundcards but they usually have poor quality microphones. You can try the built-in soundcard to get started and then upgrade to a USB sound interface later, if necessary.

After launching jammr, connect to a jam session (you'll see a list in the “Connect to server…” dialog). Once you've joined your friends will see your username in the jam session list when they open the “Connect to server…” dialog.

#6 March 29, 2020 05:41:29

stefanha
Profile   Send e-mail  

getting started...

alex.goraieb
I'm trying to do the same… is there an instruction manual to Jammr?? would like to plug my electric drums into jammr… and send invites to the rest of my band

Many electronic drumkits have USB audio connections. They can be plugged straight into a computer, making recording easy. If yours doesn't have USB audio then the next easiest approach is to connect the Line Out/Headphone output to your computer's soundcard.

Ask your bandmates to install jammr (https://jammr.net/download.html) and they will see your username in the “Connect to server…” dialog while you're in a jam session. I recommend joining one of the existing jam sessions instead of clicking “New jam” because that's easier when getting started (if you want to run your own private jam then you'll also need to add their usernames in the Admin | Access Control menu so that they can see and join your private jam session).

#7 March 30, 2020 23:41:48

moltar0910
Profile   Send e-mail  

getting started...

Cool, thanks…Please enlighten me as to why everyone I ask about this says it is impossible to live stream jam with out lag. So confused.

#8 April 3, 2020 10:21:32

Charlotte
Profile   Send e-mail  

getting started...

Hello everyone!
I'm hoping to be able to play piano duets remotely with friends while we can't meet up because of the coronavirus. I'm not very expert with this sort of thing and can't see how to invite an individual to play, rather than have an open invitation. Maybe Jammr is not the right environment for this but I would love some help if anyone can advise me.
Thank you and enjoy the music!
Charlotte

#9 April 4, 2020 08:50:15

Kozmuck
Profile   Send e-mail  

getting started...

I've been trying to make some sense of the Jammr interface. I have a MSI GS63VR 6RF laptop. I have never been able to get the onboard audio system to be stable in Jammr. It crashes very quickly with horrible audio quality. So, I decided to try connecting to Jammr through my Universal Audio Apollo 8 system connected to my laptop via the Thunderbolt 3 interface. This seemed to work very well on my end but the players on the other end says it's way too load, distorted and crackly. I looked all over for a way to turn down the output to Jammr but there's no user interface I can find to do that.

In Jammr settings I set the output device to be “Speakers (Universal Audio Thunderbolt WDM) and the audio system to be ”Windows WASAPI"

How do I confirm that I have the correct and, hopefully, best setup and confirm the levels going into Jammr?

Thanks

#10 April 23, 2020 05:12:17

stefanha
Profile   Send e-mail  

getting started...

moltar0910
Cool, thanks…Please enlighten me as to why everyone I ask about this says it is impossible to live stream jam with out lag. So confused.

They may be referring to the fact that jammr is live but not real-time. This page explains how jammr works:
https://jammr.net/howitworks.html

There is a guide to jamming successfully here: https://forum.jammr.net/topic/1724/

If you want to understand the system in more depth, please check out these posts:
https://forum.jammr.net/topic/1115/
https://forum.jammr.net/topic/1719/

Board footer

Moderator control