jammr Forum

Home of the jammr Community

• You are not logged in.

#1 April 15, 2020 19:05:42

dmp
Profile   Send e-mail  

Written music

It sounds like jammr works for repeating chord progressions. What about written music like a woodwind trio? From the sounds of how jammr works technically it seems written music wouldn't work due to latency. Thoughts or experiences?

#2 April 16, 2020 14:29:08

leeastone
Profile   Send e-mail  

Written music

I guess to try it out you'd need to agree to play the first couple of bars of the sheet music with a relevant BPI and BPM set. Turn on the metronome and ONE person starts on the first beat of the metronome whilst the others effectively wait on a silent interval for the metronome to reach the end of the interval. Then the rest of the people would play on the 2nd run through of the interval where they'd hear the 1st bar being played by the solo person who started it. It's at this point where i'm not sure what will happen going forward. As ideally you'd want a song to fit within a whole BPI. It would also mean that you would never be playing alongside someone in realtime. But if you are all playing the same thing from sheet music to a metronome then it shouldn't matter.

Just try it

#3 April 16, 2020 16:34:25

captaincancel
Profile   Send e-mail  

Written music

Yeah, I think if you had an audible count-in (someone with a mic and a cowbell or just “a one and a two and a…”) then at least you could all start together on time, using the room's metronome as a guide and then just sing your parts in a linear fashion as you normally would.

#4 April 16, 2020 19:23:58

julian_vickers
Profile   Send e-mail  

Written music

captaincancel
Yeah, I think if you had an audible count-in (someone with a mic and a cowbell or just “a one and a two and a…”) then at least you could all start together on time, using the room's metronome as a guide and then just sing your parts in a linear fashion as you normally would.
I was actually lying awake in the bed last night thinking abut exactly this. The count-off would probably do the trick… if the persone “leading” (the “count-off…er?”) was willing to either ignore the lyrics being out of sync or … OR… muted everyone and just kept singing to the end after the countoff… hmmm…

-J
Chaotic Good

Board footer

Moderator control