jammr Forum

Home of the jammr Community

• You are not logged in.

#1 April 16, 2020 13:15:22

stefanha
Profile   Send e-mail  

MIDI jam

eb_liveDrums: It is possible that small timing differences cause the MIDI Beat Clock to drift. It depends on your computer and is something we can try to improve in future jammr releases. I have added it to the todo list!

If MIDI Beat Clock isn't working for you I suggest disabling it and manually entering the jammr tempo (BPM) value into Ableton so they both use the same tempo. This will ensure you can play in sync although it's less convenient than the MIDI Beat Clock.

#2 April 16, 2020 13:36:46

julian_vickers
Profile   Send e-mail  

MIDI jam

eb_liveDrums
I'm not quite following you. If over the course of 4 bars Ableton drifts until it's a full beat or two ahead of the Jammr metronome, then how can we use Ableton in a jam?

Again, just shooting from the hip a (and I don't have Ableton) but if it's possible to slave the MIDI clock in Ableton to the Jammr, then they can “drift together” and you'd be in sync despite the Jammr clock inaccuracies. I'd test this myself but - unfortunately - I have yet to get my system to even SEE the Jammr MIDI in/out.

-J
Chaotic Good

#3 April 16, 2020 18:14:14

captaincancel
Profile   Send e-mail  

MIDI jam

stefanha
eb_liveDrums: It is possible that small timing differences cause the MIDI Beat Clock to drift. It depends on your computer and is something we can try to improve in future jammr releases. I have added it to the todo list!If MIDI Beat Clock isn't working for you I suggest disabling it and manually entering the jammr tempo (BPM) value into Ableton so they both use the same tempo. This will ensure you can play in sync although it's less convenient than the MIDI Beat Clock.

Is the MIDI Beat Clock being generated locally, or is it being streamed from the Jammr server?

#4 April 16, 2020 18:15:42

captaincancel
Profile   Send e-mail  

MIDI jam

This paper sounds exactly like what Jammr (and other apps/DAWs) need.

Being able to have a synchronized MIDI clock over the Internet would open up a world of possibilities.
https://www.nime.org/proceedings/2016/nime2016_paper0006.pdf

#5 April 16, 2020 19:19:35

julian_vickers
Profile   Send e-mail  

MIDI jam

captaincancel
This paper sounds exactly like what Jammr (and other apps/DAWs) need.Being able to have a synchronized MIDI clock over the Internet would open up a world of possibilities.https://www.nime.org/proceedings/2016/nime2016_paper0006.pdf
Man… you have sent me down SUCH a rabbit hole.

-J
Chaotic Good

#6 April 16, 2020 20:49:49

captaincancel
Profile   Send e-mail  

MIDI jam

julian_vickers

lol I know.

It is super cool though. I kind of want to reach out to them.

The Jammr clock tests I did this afternoon were odd. Like it stayed “stable” at 96 BPM (despite setting it to 95 in the jam room), but every once in a while it would jump up to 102 and back down again.

I also couldn't see any clock data while monitoring my Mio USB MIDI interface (which I set to the MIDI Out in Jammr) with MidiOx.

Board footer

Moderator control