jammr Forum

Home of the jammr Community

• You are not logged in.

#1 April 19, 2020 17:50:02

eb_liveDrums
Profile   Send e-mail  

Super unstable MIDI clock output

stefanha
The MIDI Beat Clock is not related to network latency. MIDI is only local to your computer. jammr does not transfer MIDI over the network.Another way of explaining the current clock drift behavior is that jammr knows the right time at which to emit a MIDI Beat Clock message, but the MIDI message is sent at an arbitrary point in time afterwards. The precise timing currently depends on your computer or you could say it's left up to chance. Adding a timestamp will ensure that the receiver knows exactly when the MIDI Beat Clock message is supposed to happen, regardless of when it was actually sent and received. This should significantly reduce drift.Don't worry, I will get to this if no one else does before me. At the moment it's looking like 3 weeks.

Thanks for the response, really appreciate it.

One thing to consider, why is it that a VST drum machine can stay in sync without the same issues as MIDI clock? Maybe there's a fix there?

#2 April 20, 2020 02:57:38

captaincancel
Profile   Send e-mail  

stefanha
The MIDI Beat Clock is not related to network latency. MIDI is only local to your computer. jammr does not transfer MIDI over the network.Another way of explaining the current clock drift behavior is that jammr knows the right time at which to emit a MIDI Beat Clock message, but the MIDI message is sent at an arbitrary point in time afterwards. The precise timing currently depends on your computer or you could say it's left up to chance. Adding a timestamp will ensure that the receiver knows exactly when the MIDI Beat Clock message is supposed to happen, regardless of when it was actually sent and received. This should significantly reduce drift.Don't worry, I will get to this if no one else does before me. At the moment it's looking like 3 weeks.

That would be stellar. My coding is a bit rusty and would probably a while to get solid build let alone write a fix like this.

#3 April 20, 2020 16:12:30

eb_liveDrums
Profile   Send e-mail  

Anyone on windows want to try this older 32 bit VST to see if you can get stable clock from it?

https://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/downloads/clocker_1_0_0_win32.zip

#4 April 20, 2020 16:29:11

captaincancel
Profile   Send e-mail  

eb_liveDrums
Anyone on windows want to try this older 32 bit VST to see if you can get stable clock from it?https://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/downloads/clocker_1_0_0_win32.zip

I tried it, didn't seem to do anything.

#5 April 21, 2020 18:05:54

stefanha
Profile   Send e-mail  

Keep in mind that MIDI Beat Clock is a convenience feature for syncing the tempo automatically between apps/devices.

You can play in sync simply by manually setting the tempo in your drum machine instead of using MIDI Beat Clock.

#6 April 22, 2020 16:03:37

eb_liveDrums
Profile   Send e-mail  

stefanha
Keep in mind that MIDI Beat Clock is a convenience feature for syncing the tempo automatically between apps/devices.You can play in sync simply by manually setting the tempo in your drum machine instead of using MIDI Beat Clock.

This is not a good solution, without clock sync the drum machine will drift out of time. Maybe thats fine if its just a drum machine, but you cant have multiple jammrs using electronic instruments that rely on clock.

#7 April 23, 2020 05:07:00

stefanha
Profile   Send e-mail  

eb_liveDrums: Just until the MIDI Beat Clock is improved.

#8 May 10, 2020 07:31:14

stefanha
Profile   Send e-mail  

I have started working on this.

#9 June 6, 2020 14:18:01

stefanha
Profile   Send e-mail  

The rewritten MIDI Beat Clock is now available in the jammr 1.2.90 beta release:
https://forum.jammr.net/topic/2066/

Would be great to hear if it works for you!

#10 Jan. 22, 2021 09:04:07

jermin
Profile   Send e-mail  

tried my first every session last night and midi sync was the first thing I reached for. tried using Logic and outboard to try and drop in additional rhythms to somebody else's drum drack / produce in sync synth arpeggios & sequences, but no joy really.

checked the external midi radiobox on the midi preferences. I think I may have experienced sync once for about 30sec over a 3 hour period.

am I missing something or is this roadmap stuff on the app? should I give up for now and just strum along?

Either way it was SO nice to get some musical interaction after so long!…..

Board footer

Moderator control