jammr Forum

Home of the jammr Community

• You are not logged in.

#1 April 9, 2020 21:12:27

molkko
Profile   Send e-mail  

latency?

What is latency setting all about. If my USB soundcard+software combo results in lenghty 150ms delay, should I set latency to 150ms so others hear me on time? I guess latency is about something else as there are only certain values that I can pick from the menu. Thanks for any insight on this.
M

#2 April 11, 2020 12:45:49

stefanha
Profile   Send e-mail  

latency?

Hi molkko,
The Latency setting controls the size of the audio buffers that jammr uses. A large audio buffer size results in higher latency but is less likely to produce audio glitches when the computer can't keep up. A smaller size results in lower latency but is more prone to audio glitches because the computer needs to process audio at a higher frequency. This setting should normally be between 5-12 milliseconds.

The latency setting mostly affects the “feel” of your own playing when the “Play back my audio” option is enabled in the sound settings. It is unrelated to network communication latency (“lag”).

The Latency setting needs experimentation because no single value will work best with all computers and sound devices. If jammr sounds and feels fine without changes to the Latency setting, then you can leave it.

#3 April 11, 2020 13:25:33

molkko
Profile   Send e-mail  

latency?

Ok. Thank you. Seems like latency setting does not solve my original issue which is that sound from somebody is always coming late (100ms or so). My original thought was to instruct him to put high latency setting in order to compensate for his high lag but I interpret your answer, stfanha, that this does not help but possibly worsens the problem a bit.
Is there any way for me or him to tell the jammr server that the audio from this specific artist should be sent to me (or to everybody) about 100ms earlier e.g. “!vote artistname -100ms”. I guess that would fix the perceived lag? Or is there possibly one global assumed lag for everybody regardless of actual lag of each and every artist in which case muting the laggy artist is the only way to go?

#4 April 20, 2020 10:52:05

stefanha
Profile   Send e-mail  

latency?

Yes, this issue is probably unrelated to their Latency setting in jammr's sound settings.

The latencies we experience with computer recording are usually 5-12 milliseconds for most sound devices.

If you heard a 100 millisecond latency then I suggest that they first check that they are able to record themselves without noticeable latency in a program like Audacity or Reaper. If they record to a click track or drums then their notes should be on time and not delayed by 100 milliseconds.

It would be interesting to see the contents of Help | Show log from jammr on their machine, too.

#5 Dec. 2, 2020 04:07:29

Zatchmo
Profile   Send e-mail  

latency?

Friend cannot play to the same metronome as we do

#6 Dec. 4, 2020 09:28:07

stefanha
Profile   Send e-mail  

latency?

Zatchmo
Friend cannot play to the same metronome as we do

Hi Zatchmo,
Are you playing to jammr's metronome (the Metronome button is in the bottom-right corner of the jammr window)?

On Windows there can be 20 milliseconds latency when the “WASAPI” audio system is selected in jammr's settings. Switching to the “WDM-KS” audio system should improve the latency.

Board footer

Moderator control