jammr Forum

Home of the jammr Community

• You are not logged in.

#1 April 28, 2020 17:17:39

leeastone
Profile   Send e-mail  

Visualisation of how jammr works

Going on what I understand is the fact that you only hear what is played in the previous interval I drew out this diagram. It might not be right - so if that is the case can a mod/admin just delete the post.

[leeastone's diagram is correct. Understanding the diagram is not necessary as long as you follow this guide to jamming successfully: https://forum.jammr.net/topic/1724/.
–stefanha]

Edited stefanha (April 29, 2020 19:43:33)

#2 April 29, 2020 19:41:10

stefanha
Profile   Send e-mail  

Thank you leeastone! Yes, this is how jammr works.

You are also right that the server records the jam as shown in the first table.

It is hard for most people to think about how everyone hears a different time-shifted version of the jam. This is why I focus on explaining the two rules for playing in sync instead:
1. Play at the same tempo as jammr's BPM setting.
2. Make sure the BPI setting matches the length of the chord progression in beats.

Anyone following these two simple rules doesn't need to worry about understanding the details.

The details are interesting if you want to find cases where you can play in sync successfully without following these rules. There are exceptions to the rules although they are limited!

For example, if there are just two people in a jam and you don't care about the recording being in sync, then you can play alternating A and B intervals instead of just repeating the same A interval every time.

Or a saner example is that you can safely play a chord progression whose length is a divisor of the BPI. So if BPI is 32 then you can play a chord progression that is only 16 or 8 beats long and you'll stay in sync.

Usually it's best to stick to the rules though .

Thanks again for sharing this. I'm sure it will help others understand how jammr works more deeply.

#3 May 17, 2020 21:37:48

bnorthup
Profile   Send e-mail  

what does a chord of % mean?

#4 May 18, 2020 09:06:53

stefanha
Profile   Send e-mail  

Hi bnorthrup,
I'm not sure, can you post a full example of a chord progression that uses ‘%’ notation?

#5 May 18, 2020 12:28:02

bnorthup
Profile   Send e-mail  

someone had shown a valid chord on each side…. and a % sign where the chord would have been now after thinking about it… it must refer to the division (timewise) of the chords on each side…. so that the total counts (before completing the chord loop) stays simple….. sort of like a common denominator in math..

#6 May 18, 2020 20:42:34

stefanha
Profile   Send e-mail  

We just talked about it in the jammr chat, but in case someone else is reading this forum thread: % was probably used as a repetition sign. For example, instead of writing G C D D they might write G C D %.

Board footer

Moderator control