• You are not logged in.
  • Root
  • » News
  • » jammr 1.2.91 is available for beta testing [RSS Feed]

#1 July 4, 2020 19:17:04

stefanha
Profile   Send e-mail  

jammr 1.2.91 is available for beta testing

A beta version of the next jammr release is now available for testing. This is the second beta and some reported issues have now been addressed. Your feedback will help ensure that issues are found before the update is rolled out to all users.

Download for Windows
Download for Mac

Linux:

flatpak install --user flathub-beta net.jammr.jammr//beta

(You can add the flathub-beta repository with "flatpak remote-add –user flathub-beta https://flathub.org/beta-repo/flathub-beta.flatpakrepo“ and refresh the list of applications with ”flatpak update –appstream".)

Changes:
  • Fix periodic silence in uploaded audio. Thanks to Hardy and others for bug reports.
  • Fix “input noise protection” setting. Thanks to FrostMelon for the bug report.
  • Allow users to enable ASIO by replacing PortAudio DLL on Windows. See guide here.
  • For many more changes compared to jammr 1.2.8, see the 1.2.90 changelog.

Known issues:
  • AudioUnit and VST loading on Mac may be unstable due to new security restrictions on macOS Catalina
  • JACK on Linux does not work in the Flatpak yet
  • Crashes on Mac when closing jammr. Thanks to Harris for the bug report.
  • Settings dialog on Mac may jump to the back, losing focus. Thanks to Harris for the bug report.

If you want to revert to the latest stable release of jammr, install it as usual from https://jammr.net/download.html.

#2 July 11, 2020 21:06:40

shawnb
Profile   Send e-mail  

Started experimenting with the beta last night! Lots of great new features, thanks.

I like the ability to designate channels, but I am having a couple issues with it:
- It's not honoring my interface's mixer (Focusrite Control). Example 1: It will pick up HW channels even if they are muted in Focusrite Control.
- Example 2: It is not picking up SW channels. E.g., if I am trying to add a loop/drums from my DAW.
- It appears to be using Windows' view of channels, not the device's. Although my device is an 18i20 (18 ins, 20 outs), it is only showing 2 ins & 6 outs (same as Windows).
- Related to the last point, in order to hear Jammr locally, I need to open up & use the Windows Volume Mixer. I strongly prefer the device's controls, not Windows's controls - for much better control of the device.
- A nit: It would be nice if it would remember the channel selections.(EDIT: Working…)

I'm on Win10, using a Focusrite 18i20 gen3. Over the last few months, I have been having great results playing guitar if I use the WASAPI driver, as long as I monitor locally to avoid latency.

What I am trying to do now though, using the new beta version, is fold in my DAW so I can add loops/drums. E.g., last night my drummer couldn't make it…

This is the configuration I have setup using the new beta. I'd like to mix my guitar & DAW to send to Jammr. I would like to monitor the results locally (DAW, guitar & Jammr return) to reduce latency:
- Guitar in HW channel 1.
- DAW playing loops/drums on SW channel 1.
- Jammr is using channel 1 as input & channel 3 as output (to avoid a loop).
- Mix for channels 1/2 (from Focusrite to Jammr, in Focusrite Control) is the guitar & the DAW. Everything else is muted.
- ‘Play back my audio’ in Jammr is disabled (since I want the local mix for better latency).
- Headhphone mix (in Focusrite Control) is the guitar & the DAW & Jammr from channel 3. Everything else is muted.
- The windows ‘Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device’ setting is disabled, since both Jammr & the DAW need to talk to the device.

If there is a different/better way to set this up, I'd appreciate the input!

Edited shawnb (July 12, 2020 15:49:46)

#3 July 13, 2020 17:24:29

stefanha
Profile   Send e-mail  

shawnb
If there is a different/better way to set this up, I'd appreciate the input!

Now that ASIO drivers can be used with jammr it's worth giving them a shot:
https://forum.jammr.net/topic/2085/

This will let you use Focusrite's low-latency ASIO driver. You should see all the channels.

#4 July 14, 2020 05:44:43

shawnb
Profile   Send e-mail  

I tried ASIO, and all inputs & outputs showed up! That was a step in the right direction!

The Focusrite Control app still had no bearing on the mix, which is a problem, though. Same issues noted above, including the fact that the DAW input was not picked up no matter what. I suspect the problem is very basic - that the driver simply doesn't want two apps (Jammr & the DAW) speaking to it.

Note, I've tried using VB cable & LoopBe audio loopbacks. (The idea being that the DAW can speak to Jammr thru the loopback & the DAW can speak to the device, so the device only has one connection.) That didn't work - too unstable, with BSODs even, not sure the cause. I have not tried JACK recently; as I recall, it's a bit convoluted to setup.

I *can* get everything working as desired… To do so, I use two audio interfaces. One dedicated to Jammr & one dedicated to the DAW. A physical patch cable connects them. Works perfectly. This is how I will operate for now.

Sure seems there should be a simpler way to do this though. I'm open to suggestions, & will help with any testing if needed.

#5 July 16, 2020 19:29:59

stefanha
Profile   Send e-mail  

Yes, I think only one program can use the ASIO device at a time, although I haven't tested it. Using a virtual audio cable utility is theoretically the solution but it sounds like you've already tried and it did not work well.

JACK for Windows is an ASIO driver so you should now be able to use it with jammr. I haven't tried it yet though.

#6 July 18, 2020 01:20:29

shawnb
Profile   Send e-mail  

Yes, JACK works!

Kinda convoluted, but the sound is good & it gives me great control over mixing & routing.

Very interesting: In JACK, the “capture” port (hardware input) is distinct from the DAW's output, and I need to mix the two to send to Jammr. Without JACK, just using the Focusrite driver, I was only getting the hardware input, not the output from the DAW.

So, yes, with JACK, I can mix my DAW & my hardware input & send it to Jammr. Then (with Play back my audio OFF in Jammr) I can take Jammr's return (the other players), mix in my DAW & my guitar and get a very clean, local, low-latency mix. Perfect.

Yes, JACK is quirky to bring up… Still learning the tool… I still need to mute everything in the Windows Volume Mixer, otherwise loops/doubling occur.

#7 July 18, 2020 15:00:22

stefanha
Profile   Send e-mail  

Great! I'm looking forward to trying JACK for Windows too. Being able to send audio between programs is very handy.

• Root
  • » News
  • » jammr 1.2.91 is available for beta testing[RSS Feed]

Board footer

Moderator control