jammr Forum

Home of the jammr Community

• You are not logged in.

#1 Oct. 22, 2021 12:13:05

stefanha
Profile   Send e-mail  

Login Error: "SSL handshake failed.."

Hi Bo,
First I want to apologize for my lack of responsiveness with this issue. You have been unable to use jammr for almost two weeks and I would have liked to solve the issue more quickly.

Here is a special jammr installer that will log “SSL errors” so we have enough information to understand the problem:
https://jammr.net/static/jammr-1.3.1-ssl-debug.exe

Please install it and try logging in again. If the error still appears, please go to Help | Show log and copy paste it onto the forum. There should be a line that says “SSL error” that I'll take a look at.

Thanks for your patience!

If you are aware of other users who have the same problem, please let me know so I can check if there is a pattern.

#2 Oct. 22, 2021 16:55:52

Bo
Profile   Send e-mail  

THX Stefan…
…no worries— i am patient…. but the problem does still exist.

Okt 22 2021 16:53:11 CRIT: SSL error: The issuer certificate of a locally looked up certificate could not be found
Okt 22 2021 16:53:11 CRIT: Update checker network reply failed (error=6, errorString=“SSL handshake failed”)
Okt 22 2021 16:53:31 DEBUG: Logging in as “Bo” at https://jammr.net/api/tokens/Bo/
Okt 22 2021 16:53:31 CRIT: SSL error: The issuer certificate of a locally looked up certificate could not be found
Okt 22 2021 16:53:31 CRIT: Login network reply failed (error=6, errorString=“SSL handshake failed”)

#3 Oct. 23, 2021 17:48:34

Bo
Profile   Send e-mail  

PS

Same result on my windows 10 laptop

It must either be a restriction by my router (kind of working well… havent had any major problems with it yet) or a problem on the side of jammr.

..cannot tell.

#4 Oct. 23, 2021 18:52:51

stefanha
Profile   Send e-mail  

Thanks for the log, Bo. This has given me some clues to go on. I will work on a proper solution but in the meantime, here is a trick you can use:

1. Press Windows+R to open the “Run” dialog, type “cmd”, and press Enter.
  2. Type “reg add HKCU\Software\jammr\jammr\ssl /v verify /t REG_DWORD /d 0” and press Enter.

Next time you start jammr the SSL checks will be disabled. This may allow you to connect successfully (it suppresses the error).

Edited stefanha (Oct. 23, 2021 18:54:01)

#5 Oct. 24, 2021 08:19:53

stefanha
Profile   Send e-mail  

Hi Bo,
Luckily I had an older Windows 10 machine with the same issue and was able to find a proper solution. Running Windows Update and rebooting solved the issue. You can type “update” in the Start bar's search field and click “Check for updates” to get the latest Windows updates. Is your computer fully up to date?

I hope this solves the issue for you! Please let me know how it goes.

Technical details:
The issue was that this outdated Windows 10 machine did not have the “ISRG Root X1” trusted root certificate authority that's needed by jammr's SSL certificate. After running Windows Update and rebooting I saw “ISRG Root X1” had been installed. The new Windows version is now 10.0.19041 if you want to compare against your machine. I checked trusted root certificate authorities by entering “cert” into the Start bar's search field and clicking “Manage computer certificates”. You can check your Windows version by entering “system” into the Start bar's search field and clicking “System Information”. You'll see a table with a row labelled “Version”.

The issue with the trusted root certificate authority is described here: https://letsencrypt.org/docs/dst-root-ca-x3-expiration-september-2021/

#6 Oct. 24, 2021 08:20:28

Bo
Profile   Send e-mail  

workaround worked great on both systems!
thank you very much stefan!

looking forward to jam with you again soon!

#7 Oct. 24, 2021 08:22:50

stefanha
Profile   Send e-mail  

Hi Bo,
Once you've updated Windows you'll be able to undo the workaround that I posted earlier:

1. Press Windows+R to open the “Run” dialog, type “cmd”, and press Enter.
  2. Type “reg delete HKCU\Software\jammr\jammr\ssl” and press Enter.

Re-enabling SSL certificate checking ensures that connections to jammr cannot be intercepted easily, so it's a good idea for security.

#8 Oct. 24, 2021 08:52:29

Bo
Profile   Send e-mail  

Hi stefan!

Trouble here.
Your suppressed solution worked!

But:
I have got a completly updated windows system.
Checked it severall times…
…19042.1288

Re-enabled SSL certificate checking…
…that DST ROOT CA X3 is still outdated (30.09.2021) … and the SSL handshake failed again.

I went with all the optional windows updates too…
…that DST ROOT CA X3 is still outdated (30.09.2021) … and the SSL handshake failed again.

Bad news… i think we lost some serious jammr traffic since 30.09.2021… .

Let me know how i can help you!

#9 Oct. 24, 2021 09:04:37

Bo
Profile   Send e-mail  

PS
I can not find the “ISRG Root X1” in the Certificate-Listing anywhere.

#10 Oct. 24, 2021 09:17:18

stefanha
Profile   Send e-mail  

“DST Root CA X3” is permanently expired, installing updates won't make it valid again but updating should add the new “ISRG Root X1” root certificate.

Unfortunately some Windows machines may have root certificate updates disabled in the registry (HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\DisableRootAutoUpdate).

I'll investigate solutions that do not require users to perform any manual steps. That will help anyone else who is affected.

Board footer

Moderator control