Search - User list
Full Version: Hi there, nooby here, can anyone help me get up and running?
Root » Technical support » Hi there, nooby here, can anyone help me get up and running?
CeeDeeBee
Hi there, just discovered this app and thought I would give a whirl.

Firstly, does anyone use it anymore because there doesn't appear to be anyone online? Do people just come on for pre-organised jams?

Secondly i'm not really sure if i'm setting it up right. I have a Behringer X AIR XR18 interface/mixer that I normally use with my PC. As someone recommended on a post I've just tried recording straight into to audacity and that seems to work fine. I'm just unsure about what settings I'm suppose to use on Jammr.

There seems to be 4 different ‘audio systems’ I can choose;
MME, Windows Direct Sound, Windows WASAPI and Windows WDM-KS

If I choose WDM-KS (which seems to be recommended in a startup post) I can't see the interface, only my built in realtek sound devices which presumably are on the motherboard. If I choose any of the other 3 I can see the interface but when I join a room I still can't hear anything back, like a metronome or my playing? Shouldn't I be able to hear something regardless of whether anyone is in the session or not?

Anyway I'd love to give this a go, hopefully I can find someone to jam with :-)
stefanha
Hi CeeDeeBee,
People play together in public jam sessions every day. Some times of day are more popular than others. Usually there are people online from 19:00-21:00 UK time. If there is no one online, stay connected to a jam for a few minutes and see if someone else joins.

I suggest trying WASAPI if your sound card does not appear as an input and output device under the WDM-KS audio system.

jammr uses the first 2 channels from a multi-channel sound card. Please check that your instrument or microphone is plugged into the first input on the mixer.

In order to hear yourself please enable “Play back my audio” in jammr's sound settings. Please disable any zero-latency monitoring that the mixer provides. Using software monitoring (from jammr) lets you hear the same mix as everyone else in the jam session and makes it easier to set the right input volume level.

Enabling the Metronome button in the bottom right corner of the jammr window should now work.
CeeDeeBee
Ah thanks for the reply! Good to hear it is still being used.

After a little playing it seems MME is the only one I can use with my interface. I did have my PC sound coming through Ch1/2 before so I've rerouted.

Also after moving up the latency on each sample rate it seems the settings below are what i'll have to use, otherwise I get horrible buffery distortion. Is that normal? It doesn't feel too bad, there's definitely some delay but I wouldn't say it was unplayable at least..

Audio System: MME
Sample Rate: 44100 and 88200 - Latency: 11.6
Sample Rate: 48000 and 96000 - Latency 10.7

WASAPI doesn't work for me. I can select my interface as input/output but the sample rate and latency fields just go blank. I thought maybe this was due to my interface having the controls but it just gives me an error when I start up the session.

stefanha
Around 10 milliseconds latency is playable. Glad you found settings that work!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.