jammr Forum

Home of the jammr Community

• You are not logged in.

#1 May 31, 2020 01:13:37

mwieder
Profile   Send e-mail  

volume faders per channel

JamKazam works that way, although their user interface is every bit as awkward as jammr's.
There's a master mixer where the owner of the session can set levels for the recording, and then each player has individual channel levels they can set for their headphones. Doesn't seem like it's an insurmountable problem.

#2 June 1, 2020 07:31:36

stefanha
Profile   Send e-mail  

Hi mwieder,
Thanks for mentioning that approach. It will work well for private jam sessions where there is an owner.

For public jams there is no owner. Maybe the server should use the average mixer levels of all users and that can also be the default level setting for new users who join a public jam.

#3 June 17, 2020 03:59:01

Harris
Profile   Send e-mail  

A possibility for Public Jams (maybe for all) - next to each user in each player's window is a Radio Button with levels, rather than a fader. The buttons send messages up to the server requesting a multiplier (or divisor) against that channel in the feed for the listener's app. Also, one for the Metronome, please. I'm assuming that that's how Mute works today. Here's a rough sketch:

Name Mute Vol: Lower < Normal > Louder

Bob [] -3○ -2○ -1○ ⦿ +1○ +2○ +3○

Carol [] -3○ -2○ -1○ ○ +1○ +2⦿ +3○

Ted [] -3○ -2○ -1○ ○ +1⦿ +2○ +3○

Alice [] -3○ -2⦿ -1○ ○ +1○ +2○ +3○

METRO [] -3○ -2○ -1⦿ ○ +1○ +2○ +3○

Edited Harris (June 17, 2020 04:58:51)

#4 June 17, 2020 04:45:53

shawnb
Profile   Send e-mail  

Ideally, everyone sets their own mix. And this is non-destructive - so it doesn't impact the recordings, only local playback during the session.

Everyone is already getting their own mix during the session, but without any volume control. If there were a way to add volume control to that mix, that'd do it.

If that's too resource intensive server-side, then the jam owner could set relative levels. (One mix, not many…) Again, playback-only, non-destructive.

Just thinking aloud…

#5 June 17, 2020 04:58:17

Harris
Profile   Send e-mail  

@shawb - I assume you mean volume control for each player that we hear.

Any of us who have played in studio settings knows that hearing “what you need” brings out the best musicianship.

I think each player “needs” a different balance in order to be comfortable. Some folks want to hear themselves above everyone else while playing, others prefer a bland, and certain instruments can interfere with the sound space for others (e.g., two guitars, or a guitar and a keyboard) - it would be SO nice just to be able to make even rough adjustments to others' volume (and the metronome volume) while playing.

Sending a good level helps later when trying to mix. When I receive a Jam recording, I see the option for browser playback, m4a download, or individual track per-player download. That last option is where we can balance things “just so”, if needed, using a DAW.

#6 Jan. 27, 2021 14:58:28

JamesJams
Profile   Send e-mail  

If VU or channel volume controls make it to beta, how do I become a tester? I am really enjoying Jammr but I struggle with getting my volume levels high enough for others to hear me. Meanwhile, and only sometimes, one person (usually the overzealous lead guitarist) will be blowing up my eardrums. Most are cool about adjusting their volume when asked; otherwise, the mute feature saves the day! If we could all see our output levels with an inline VU meter, it would be a great first step. Adding channel volume control would be a major bonus! One solid case scenario for both of these features is when the people jamming together do not speak the same language. Anyway, great stuff! Thanks for creating Jammr!!!

#7 Dec. 8, 2022 18:42:49

sinjin
Profile   Send e-mail  

James, i know its old but I do my music like its peaked…not peaked out but just on the limit, thats normal in making music, if somebody comes in who is quiter, of course I try to make it quiter as well, I dont want to play “against” ppl, I try to play “with” ppl, of course And yes, I experienced ppl who just seem to play Winamp or whatever REALLY OVERDRIVEN! It can be a battle then hahaha

#8 Dec. 8, 2022 20:03:18

JamesJams
Profile   Send e-mail  

sinjin
James, i know its old but I do my music like its peaked…not peaked out but just on the limit, thats normal in making music, if somebody comes in who is quiter, of course I try to make it quiter as well, I dont want to play “against” ppl, I try to play “with” ppl, of course And yes, I experienced ppl who just seem to play Winamp or whatever REALLY OVERDRIVEN! It can be a battle then hahaha

Thank you, Sinjin. I do this as well, and I also want to play “with” ppl.

What I am trying to figure nowadays, is how to turn the volume up on my headphones. My (input) microphones are connected to my DAW (PreSonus StudioLive AR12) and the playback is connected to my computer's headphones (as required when using microphones). I have the (output device) headphones maxed out, but it's just not enough. Any suggestions on this?

I haven't been on much lately because I generally get frustrated with not being able to hear very well.

I want to Jam!

Board footer

Moderator control