jammr Forum

Home of the jammr Community

• You are not logged in.

#1 May 19, 2018 16:35:17

BobK
Profile   Send e-mail  

Mid-2013 iMac, Tascam, and Yamaha 535

I can get The Yamaha to record directly into Garageband as a MIDI device, but can't get the iMac to recognize either the Tascam digital 8 track as an audio interface to the iMac, and the mic on the iMac is builtin, as is the headphone/spkrs - Any way to get audio input for the jammr session? The iMac is running High Sierra. If it helps, I also have an iPad Pro 10.5" (2017 model) if that helps - haven't tried to connect in to jammr with it yet. I have a Lenovo Ideapad with Windows 10 avauable as well, and an older (2008) Mac Mini running Sbow Leopard.

Can I connect using the equipment I have?
If not, what audio interface would do the job?
Primary criteria would be lowest cost for acceptable quality.

Thanks in advance for any insights, suggestions, anyone might be able to offer.
BobK

There ain't no cure for the Parkinson's, but we ain't givin' up hope!

#2 May 23, 2018 08:04:35

stefanha
Profile   Send e-mail  

Hi BobK,
Do you have the Tascam DP-008EX? It appears that this device is not a USB audio interface. It only offers a USB mass storage device interface so you can copy tracks between your computer and the device, but it's not a souncard.
http://tascam.com/product/dp-008ex/specifications/

There are a number of popular USB audio interfaces from brands like Focusrite, m-audio, and Behringer that have 1 or 2 mic/instrument inputs.

#3 May 23, 2018 14:07:51

BobK
Profile   Send e-mail  

Thanks, stefanha! Yes, I do have the Tascam DP-008EX, and a fine little 8 track recorder it is. But no, it isn't compatible with jammr on any of my computers - as you pointed out, it isn't a sound card. I am getting a Focusrite Solo delivered tomorrow - it seemed to have fewer 1 star ratings than others mentioned, and fewer comments about the usability (or lack of) the included software. We shall see. I have a keyboard YPG-535, bass Squier, and acoustic electric guitar (Fender) all of which should be able to interface with the Focusrite. And from there, into jammr.net. Meanwhile I am (temporarily I hope) wheelchair bound, which makes things go more slowly than usual. Thanks also for the link to the Tascam page - I wasn't aware of the possibility of a firmware update - will have to look into it.

Oh yeah - forgot to mention that the mid 2013 iMac doesn't have a separate input socket for sound, which was a big disappointment. It does seem to recognize USB headsets, though. All of which is moot with an audio interface with USB connections, so I have my fingers crossed…

Edited BobK (May 23, 2018 14:15:07)

#4 May 25, 2018 07:52:01

stefanha
Profile   Send e-mail  

Good choice, the Focusrite Solo should work great with your iMac. You can connect the 1/4" Headphone/Output jack from the YPG-535 to the instrument input on the Focusrite Solo.

I wish you all the best for your health. Keep jamming!

#5 July 6, 2018 22:08:46

BobK
Profile   Send e-mail  

Hello tefanha - I have been trying to get the Focusrite Solo to input into jammr with no luck. (See mt new post on the topic. I can hear yself on the monitor, butr jammr isn't getting the signal.) So far, evry check item I can finds has turnes out to be ok - still no sound.
Thanks for the direcrion onthe Tascam, agajn.

#6 July 7, 2018 08:54:35

stefanha
Profile   Send e-mail  

Hi BobK,
I have responded in your new forum topic.

Stefan

Board footer

Moderator control