Search - User list
Full Version: How to connect guitar?
Root » Technical support » How to connect guitar?
1 2
alry1007
I can hear myself AND everyone else but nobody can hear me. I have tried several ways. My guitar is plugged into a Scarlett USB audio interface then I have the Bias FX app on my laptop that I use to hear through my headphone jack. I also have garageband that has built in guitar sounds as well as a kemper but I have not been able to use any combination of these successfully. My audio input is set to scarlett USB and output set to internal speakers (I have headphones plugged in). Yes, the send button is enabled AND the playback my audio is checked. Again, I can hear myself through these apps but nobody else can hear me when I log into jammr. ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED
stefanha
Hi alry1007,
Audio is not sent between applications automatically so jammr will not receive the Bias FX or Garageband output. If you can record through the Kemper then that is the easiest option.

If you prefer to use a software amp simulator there are two options:
1. Load a VST plugin or AudioUnit inside jammr. Go to jammr | Preferences | Effect plugins to load plugins.
Or
2. Use “virtual audio cable” software like BlackHole (https://github.com/ExistentialAudio/BlackHole) to send audio from your amp simulator application into jammr. This works by creating a virtual sound device that must be set as the output sound device of the amp simulator and the input device for jammr.

Whichever way you do it, sounds like you have great guitar tones at your fingertips with the Kemper and Bias FX . Please let me know if you have any questions!
alry1007
I tried loading the Bias FX in Jammr and nothing happens. Can you go through the steps of loading and using the plug in? Thanks
stefanha
Hi airy1007,
VST plugins can be installed anywhere on your computer and jammr needs to know where they are located. The folder which your plugin is installed was set at the time you installed the pugin. If you don’t remember you can search online and see if someone has posted the standard location where the plugin is usually installed.

Note that jammr only supports 32-bit VST plugins on Windows.

You can tell jammr where to look for VST plugins like this:
1. File | Settings | Effect plugins.
2. Click Add.
3. Copy-paste the plugin path into the “Search path” text field and click “Add”.
4. Now click “Scan” and the plugin should appear in the “Available plugins” list.

Now you can select the plugin and click “OK” to load it in jammr.

For VST instrument plugins you’ll want them to receive MIDI messages. Once the plugin is loaded you can check that it will receive MIDI messages by selecting it in the “Effect plugins” settings panel and clicking “Route…”. Please enable the “MIDI in” checkbox.

If you want to get to the plugin user interface you can select the plugin and click the “Edit” button in the “Effect plugins” settings panel.
alry1007
To clarify, I get Bias FX to open through Jammr, but there is no sound going into it. There are no sound setting in Bias like in the regular amp where I can indicate the input and output so I assume it is using Jammr's settings. I have tried all of them but I assume in this scenario I would tell it to use my scarlett focusrite 2i2 as the input since that is where I plug my guitar into my computer. This still shows no input into the Bias FX plug in. When I just use the Bias FX regular app saved on my hard drive with the same settings, I hear everything just fine.

Even when I try just talking through my internal mic and making that the setting in Jammr nobody is able to hear me. Is there a known issue with Mac's and Jammr??
stefanha
alry1007
I get Bias FX to open through Jammr, but there is no sound going into it.

Please follow the audio setup guide before loading the plugin: https://forum.jammr.net/topic/1987/

Once you hear the dry guitar without the plugin then you can load Bias FX again.

As a quick summary: please make sure to select the input/output devices and enable “Play back my audio” in jammr | Preferences. Then join a jam session to see if audio output is working (you won't hear anything if you are not connected to a jam session). If others cannot hear you, make sure the Send button is enabled.
jabbathewatts
Hi Alry1007 - sounds like you had an almost identical issue to me.

Check your privacy settings (on mac: apple > system preferences > security and privacy). Find mic and check to see if jammr has been granted access. If not then grant it access.

I was having exactly the same issue as you as I had at some point denied jammr access to the mic (and then forgot that I had!). Once I allowed it my other input devices also worked (I use an irig rather than a scarlett but same difference I guess).

For what its worth, the Blackhole software also works great to hook up my DAW (Garageband) to jammr - just select blackhole as your output device on the DAW and as the input device on jammr.
matcostanzo
My question is very simple. I have a guitar, some pedals and an amp that isn't digital. I don't know how I'm supposed to get these to connect to a computer. Do I buy a cable that has a 1/4" jack on one end and a usb on the other? Does that even exist? Do I plug in from my amp to the computer or from the guitar into the computer? If I plug in the guitar to the computer, how do I get it to sound like an amped guitar?
andhai
The only way to use analog effect pedals is to record your amp since it outputs the final sound. The quality of the sound will not be as good as if you had a VST plugin and make sure you use headphones!
stefanha
Hi matconstanzo,
There are many options for recording guitar:

1. Digital amps like the BOSS Katana have USB audio connections built in. This is probably the easiest option nowadays and you might find it's cheaper than buying good equipment for recording an analog amp.

2. Place a microphone in front of the speaker. This is the traditional approach to guitar recording. A popular microphone is the Shure SM-57. It can be connected to a USB audio interface.

3. There are reactive load boxes with cabinet IR simulators like the Universal Audio OX (https://www.uaudio.com/hardware/ox.html) or cheaper options. They basically allow you to record a guitar amplifier without playing at loud volumes. Some require a separate USB audio interface.

4. Plugging the guitar cable directly into a USB audio interface will let you record the dry signal and then use software amp simulators like Scuffham Amps S-Gear for the amp and effects - jammr can load VST plugins and AudioUnits. Or if you don't want to be tied to a computer you can get a little pedal/box the does the amp simulation like the Atomic Amps Ampli-FIREBOX or the Line6 PocketPOD.

There are many options depending on all the ways you'd like to use your gear and your budget. Try watching product reviews on YouTube so you can hear how these options sound and see how the work.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.