jammr Forum

Home of the jammr Community

• You are not logged in.

#1 May 2, 2020 16:46:57

gth2004
Profile   Send e-mail  

Metronome

Questions :

1). Does jammr compensate for server to end user latency such that remote users see and hear the System metronome at same point in time ?

Meaning if user 1 has a 50ms latency and user 2 has a 80ms latency , jammr determines this (by measuring a ping ?) and adjusts metronome so both users see and hear their metronome at same point in time (within some given accuracy)….

2) would be nice if system metronome could be audio or visual or both - looks like its both or neither presently..?

3) is it preferable to use an even numbered bpm

#2 May 3, 2020 05:26:49

stefanha
Profile   Send e-mail  

Metronome

Hi gth2004,

gth2004
1). Does jammr compensate for server to end user latency such that remote users see and hear the System metronome at same point in time ?
No, because of the way that jammr works it is not necessary to do this.

jammr is live but not real-time. It is not sensitive to network latency. You can read about it here:
https://jammr.net/howitworks.html

This guide explains how to play in sync: https://forum.jammr.net/topic/1724/

If you want to understand the system behind it, check out the following posts:
https://forum.jammr.net/topic/1719/
https://forum.jammr.net/topic/1115/
https://forum.jammr.net/topic/1999/

gth2004
2) would be nice if system metronome could be audio or visual or both - looks like its both or neither presently..?
This might be added back in the future, but it can confuse users:

It is not necessary to play on jammr's metronome click as long as you
are playing at jammr's tempo (BPM). That means you can disable the
metronome if there is a drum pattern playing at jammr's BPM - and the
drum pattern doesn't need to start on jammr's metronome click.

In the past the metronome bar was always visible but it caused people to try to play to the visual metronome instead of playing to what they hear. The visual-only metronome was removed because people were playing out of time. They tried to stick to the visual metronome even in jam sessions where the beat wasn't started on jammr's metronome click (this is quite common with drum machines and drum loops).

Ideally people would start external drum machines or loopers exactly on jammr's metronome click, but this can be tricky in practice. That's why you now have to choose whether to follow jammr's metronome (visual and audio click) or play to your own rhythm source (drum loop, drum machine, live drummer) without jammr's metronome.

gth2004
3) is it preferable to use an even numbered bpm
Either even or odd numbered BPMs can be used.

#3 May 6, 2020 20:41:48

frap
Profile   Send e-mail  

Metronome

so if it's not sensitive to internet latency is that why everything sounds out of time?
it's getting me into bad habits of speeding up and slowing down.
even the metronome seems to have slight speed up and slow down.
what is going on. my band are coming here to rehearse hoping it was better than a zoom rehearsal.
live were all tick tock in the pocket. will we have the same problem as a zoom rehearsal?
this is horrid and i dont know why.

are we better off recording guitar at xxxx bpm, file transfer over to drummer, adds drums sends stems to rest and getting song done in time? or what?

what am i missing here, frustrated.

#4 May 7, 2020 06:41:17

stefanha
Profile   Send e-mail  

Metronome

frap
so if it's not sensitive to internet latency is that why everything sounds out of time?

You will be in sync if you follow this guide:
https://forum.jammr.net/topic/1724/

If you want to understand the details, please see the other links I posted above.

#5 May 11, 2020 20:24:19

gth2004
Profile   Send e-mail  

Metronome

stefanha;
Thanks for the response…

maybe you can clarify:
if jammr does not compensate for server to end user latency such that remote users see and hear the System metronome at same point in time, then end users may see/hear the metronome click at slightly different points in time and trying to play on the click that a user hears could be a problem if the end user clicks are not coincident ..
is that correct ?
in that case, user #1 could play at the system click and others users could/should mute their metronome and play along with user #1 - and everyone must be playing at system BPM as you have stated elsewhere.

second question:

what could cause distortion/static on some jams but not others ?
I have connected in with some jams and audio seemed fine to me, while other days/times i hear distortion/static on the other users - muting each user one at a time did not help it sounded like the problem was on all user inputs..

i have been using waspi with 5.33ms latency (default)

thanks,
gth2004 (NC , USA)

#6 May 12, 2020 04:57:44

stefanha
Profile   Send e-mail  

Metronome

gth2004
if jammr does not compensate for server to end user latency such that remote users see and hear the System metronome at same point in time, then end users may see/hear the metronome click at slightly different points in time and trying to play on the click that a user hears could be a problem if the end user clicks are not coincident ..is that correct ?

No, it's not a problem because jammr is live but not real-time. The links I posted above explain how it works in detail, but the short summary is:

You hear what others played last time around the chord progression and they hear what you played last time around. You don't hear each other in real-time and this eliminates the need to have a synchronized metronome that clicks at the same time for everyone.

As long as everyone is playing in tempo and to the same chord progression both the rhythm and the harmony will fit. This is why the guide I linked to for playing in sync requires setting the BPM and BPI. It's what ensures that jammr can keep everyone in sync.

second question:what could cause distortion/static on some jams but not others ?I have connected in with some jams and audio seemed fine to me, while other days/times i hear distortion/static on the other users - muting each user one at a time did not help it sounded like the problem was on all user inputs..i have been using waspi with 5.33ms latency

The following steps can be used to troubleshoot when jammr itself is distorting the audio while all users are muted. Please try this:
1. Disable the Metronome button in the bottom-right corner of the jammr window. Do you still hear the distortion?
2. If yes, go to File | Disconnect and File | Connect and try connecting to the jam session again. Do you still hear the distortion?
3. If yes, go to File | Disconnect and File | Settings (or jammr | Preferences on Mac). Disable “Play back my audio” in the sound settings. Then go to File | Connect and connect to the same jam session again. Do you still hear the distortion?

Thanks,
Stefan

Board footer

Moderator control