jammr Forum

Home of the jammr Community

• You are not logged in.

#1 May 5, 2020 16:37:42

tombed
Profile   Send e-mail  

Echo in playback

When listen to my channel in playback I am hearing a muffled echo. I do not hear this when playing live in the jam. I have a Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 with automatic motoring and I have deselected the option to “play back my audio” in Jammr settings. Any ideas on what I have going on?

#2 May 5, 2020 18:37:25

shawnb
Profile   Send e-mail  

Echo in playback

Over-the-ear headphones? Anybody using a mic needs headphones, and the separation must be good so the mic doesn't pick them up.

#3 May 5, 2020 19:45:40

tombed
Profile   Send e-mail  

Echo in playback

That could be it. I was wearing good fitting headphones but not everyone in our jam was. Thanks

#4 May 6, 2020 05:28:56

stefanha
Profile   Send e-mail  

Echo in playback

Yes, the most likely reason was that the echo came from another user. You can check this by clicking the mute buttons in the user list and listening if the echo goes away when you mute a particular user.

When you enable “Play back my audio” (usually a good idea so you hear yourself exactly how others hear you) it is necessary to turn off direct monitoring on the audio interface. Otherwise you'll hear both the direct monitoring and jammr's software monitoring and it will sound strange.

#5 May 15, 2020 14:55:19

tombed
Profile   Send e-mail  

Echo in playback

Thanks Stefanha! I'm getting closer. I'm able to hear the echo when I have “play back my audio” turned on. It matches what I hear in the recorded channels. I was able to disable my “direct monitoring” and I now do not hear an echo! The issue now is I hear a delay in what I hear from my own instrument. It would be difficult to play with that delay. Should I attempt to reduce that delay while listening to “play back my audio” (I'm not sure how to do that), or, should I go back to direct monitoring and make sure I don't have both play back and direct monitoring on? It is reassuring to hear what everyone else is hearing (Aka with play back my audio), but I'm hearing a delay.

#6 May 16, 2020 14:19:51

stefanha
Profile   Send e-mail  

Echo in playback

Hi tombed,
The “Latency” value in jammr's sound settings controls how responsive your local audio is. Values between 5-12 milliseconds usually work best.

If the latency value is too low you may hear audio glitches (crackling, noise, etc) because the computer cannot process audio quickly enough.

#7 May 16, 2020 14:45:16

tombed
Profile   Send e-mail  

Echo in playback

This helps. Thanks all

Board footer

Moderator control