jammr Forum

Home of the jammr Community

• You are not logged in.

#1 May 8, 2020 01:06:22

scottd112467
Profile   Send e-mail  

I Need Help

Hello from Maine. I have been playing for 40 years, but I am not tech savvy. I have a Focusrite Scarlett Solo and I am new to it. I tried going on a jam forum and my sound, though set clean, was very overdriven on the forum. I also couldn't hear myself very well. I really don't know what I'm doing and I'm guessing my way through it.

#2 May 9, 2020 07:01:13

stefanha
Profile   Send e-mail  

I Need Help

Hi scottd112467,
Here are some tips for the Scarlett Solo:
1. Turn off Direct Monitor. Direct monitoring can make it hard to know what volume others hear you at.
2. Make sure the Inst button is enabled when connecting a guitar cable to Input 2.
3. Check that the Input 2 light is not red when you are playing guitar. Red indicates that the input is too loud (try turning down the Gain 2 knob).

In jammr's sound settings (File | Settings on Windows and jammr | Preferences on Mac):
1. Enable the “Play back my audio” checkbox.
2. Set Sample Rate to 44100 or 48000 Hz.
3. Set Latency to around 10 milliseconds. You can try lowering it to around 5 milliseconds once sound is working.

Note that jammr's sound settings cannot be changed while you are connected to a jam session. File | Disconnect will leave the jam session.

After changing jammr's sound settings, connect to a jam session to check your audio.

The “Send” button in the bottom-right corner of the jammr window controls whether other users can hear you. You can disable it while experimenting with the sound settings and enable it again once you're ready to participate in the jam.

If this does not solve the issue, please go to Help | Show log and copy-paste the technical information that gets displayed and post it here so I can take a look.

There is a step-by-step audio setup guide here: https://forum.jammr.net/topic/1987/

#3 May 22, 2020 02:53:43

Myjenta
Profile   Send e-mail  

I Need Help

Really don't know how this works. I have a built in mike in my computer. Does this pick up the sound from my guitar & voice?

#4 May 22, 2020 17:34:51

stefanha
Profile   Send e-mail  

I Need Help

Hi Myjenta,
Yes, you can use a built-in microphone with jammr. The audio quality of built-in microphones is usually poor so people who jam regularly tend to use recording hardware intended for music production. But don't worry about this yet, you can try jammr with the built-in mic first.

Please make sure to wear headphones when using a microphone. This prevents feedback (a high pitched sound) that occurs when a microphone picks up the sound from the speakers.

When you start jammr for the first time you will see a Settings dialog where you can select an audio input and output device. There is a step-by-step audio setup guide here: https://forum.jammr.net/topic/1987/

#5 May 23, 2020 06:37:06

Myjenta
Profile   Send e-mail  

I Need Help

I have gone into I the forum or chat room, sometimes there is a name listed that some-one is in there, but I hear nothing. There is nothing typed in, like what chord progressions are being played either. It is just silent. I've typed in “what are you playing” and got no response. So I ‘ve gone into another with no names listed. feels like I am just playing with the metronome in the back grounds. I don’t know if anyone can hear me. I have no idea if my music is being picked up by this thing. There is no evidence I am being heard. This really sucks. Can you tell me whats going on.

#6 May 23, 2020 08:26:28

stefanha
Profile   Send e-mail  

I Need Help

Hi Myjenta,
If you can hear the metronome click then audio output is working. This means you should be able to hear others (join a jam session with other users, wait for the metronome bar to fill up once, and then you will hear audio that others are sending). Maybe you joined a jam session where the other person did not have their audio set up yet.

We can set it up together live. Just email me (stefanha@jammr.net) what time is convenient for you and the timezone. Any time 7:00-21:00 UTC over the next few days works for me.

Board footer

Moderator control