jammr Forum

Home of the jammr Community

• You are not logged in.

#1 May 24, 2020 10:54:09

xm12
Profile   Send e-mail  

Volume mixing and control between musicians

Dear jammr team

first of all I would like to say a big Thank You the environment you have built to play music online together is the best one at the moment in terms of latency and music quality. I have tried a couple but all are far away from the jammr experience.

One item I would like to adress though is the control over the volume mix. A kind over VU meter where in the mix there is a possibility to compare and adjust the volume of the participants.

In the session depending on the setup especially if you have a mixer you can adjust the volume of send and return and online you have the feeling that everything is in a balance but than afterwards if we listen to the recordings some instruments are much louder.

This is why I think a kind of a server feature at your end would be very beneficial to control the balance between the instruments.

Thanks
Nik O.

#2 May 25, 2020 08:24:45

stefanha
Profile   Send e-mail  

Thank you, xm12!

Volume leveling will be improved in the future. At the moment it relies on everyone setting the input volume on their soundcard. Using the metronome click as a reference is recommended. It would be good to have VU meters and sliders to control volume better.

#3 May 25, 2020 13:13:05

xm12
Profile   Send e-mail  

Thanks Stefanha - that would be super. Is there an outlook by when this will be implemented ?

#4 May 27, 2020 08:04:46

stefanha
Profile   Send e-mail  

I'm not able to share the timeframe right now.

#5 June 5, 2020 20:01:34

shawnb
Profile   Send e-mail  

The biggest probs I've seen involve folks with mics. I.e., uncompressed signals. They need to keep the volume down to avoid clipping when they play a little harder… So they are harder to hear.

I would suggest a brickwall limiter VST under those circumstances. Then they can boost the signal a bit & be heard.

#6 June 7, 2020 08:33:01

stefanha
Profile   Send e-mail  

Thanks, shawnb. Eventually something like this will probably be built into jammr so that people without recording experience can get a consistent microphone sound without knowledge of compressors/limiters and VST plugins.

I have added it to the todo list for a future release.

Board footer

Moderator control