Search - User list
Full Version: connecting the instrument to computer from an economic point of view
Root » Discussion » connecting the instrument to computer from an economic point of view
adi
I tried several methods to connect my instruments to computer. If I plug in the microphone or the electric guitar in the mic jack the signal is too week to be heard by others so I must use the mic boost from windows control panel. In this moment a noise appear on the line witch disturb all others tracks in the final recording. The noise is not very uncomfortable for voice chat but in music is very unpleasant. The question is: can I use a little guitar amp as a preamplifier to increase the level of signal in order to plug in line in jack (the amp has an outline or aux jack for headphones)? Once I heard a jam with an amp but that amp also made noise in the final track… Using a M-Audio usb mixer makes the connection more expensive than the guitar itself.
talertim
Try guitar rig. 😊

stefanha
Here are some approaches to recording electric guitar on a computer:
  1. Micing an amplifier and recording the sound from the mic
  2. Using a multi-effects pedal with USB audio connection like Boss GT-100, Line6 POD HD, or Zoom G3
  3. Plugging the guitar into a soundcard that has a high impedance input and using amp modelling software

Micing an amp is a traditional recording technique but requires skill. You need a sound card, microphone, and amplifier that sounds good. High chance of noise or poor sound unless you learn your gear plus spend time and money.

Multi-effects pedals are the simplest way to do it. Prices are probably between 100-200 EUR for the low end gear, maybe even cheaper if you take a 3.5mm line out from a cheap multi-effects pedal.

Connecting the electric guitar to the soundcard and using amp simulation software on the computer gives you a lot of choice. Usually a built-in sound card will not perform well because it is noisy and doesn't have a high impedance input that mimics a guitar amp input. GuitarRig was mentioned, S-gear is my favorite software amp at the moment. There are free software amp VST plugins like LePou's Hybrit.

There are many factors involved, you will need to research the options yourself by comparing products and trying them out where possible.
HighAction
Hi adi try getting yourself one of these

Roland UA-11 Duo Capture USB Audio Interface

Lexicon Alpha Studio USB Audio Interface
adi
HighAction
Hi adi try getting yourself one of these
Thanks for your suggestions. These days I try to learn piano. If I can learn a bit of it I will buy a midi controller for jamming along with keyboardists. A midi controller is around 100 euro. So the laptop sound card is eliminated by the software and will not make noise when connected. I will continue with the guitar offline too, at my amp the problems are not so big as for laptop.

Both a good new guitar and a good usb guitar adapter are more expensive (200 euro the usb card and 200 euro a new guitar, mine is a bit too old…)
Mauricio
I see you solved your question but, if someone is reading this topic I'd like to say, from my point of view, the best way to plug in here is trough a USB interface. The Line6 Toneport UX1 is cheap and works fine.

Check eBay for cheap used interfaces
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.