jammr Forum

Home of the jammr Community

• You are not logged in.

#1 April 18, 2020 08:33:46

Jos
Profile   Send e-mail  

Noise only

sudo jammr: the sample rate and latency fields are blank. They cannot be edited.
If I close the settings windows (there is no save) and open it again the
situation is the same.

Now I started jammr from the shell I saw many error messages. See below.
It does not look good.

jos@jos-ThinkCentre-E73:~/.config/jammr$ sudo jammr
QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to ‘/tmp/runtime-root’
ALSA lib pcm_dsnoop.c:618snd_pcm_dsnoop_open) unable to open slave
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1052snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
ALSA lib pcm.c:2495snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.rear
ALSA lib pcm.c:2495snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.center_lfe
ALSA lib pcm.c:2495snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.side
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1052snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server request channel
jack server is not running or cannot be started
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for -1, skipping unlock
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for -1, skipping unlock
Expression ‘parameters->channelCount <= maxChans’ failed in ‘src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c’, line: 1514
Expression ‘ValidateParameters( inputParameters, hostApi, StreamDirection_In )’ failed in ‘src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c’, line: 1838
Expression ‘parameters->channelCount <= maxChans’ failed in ‘src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c’, line: 1514
Expression ‘ValidateParameters( inputParameters, hostApi, StreamDirection_In )’ failed in ‘src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c’, line: 1838
Expression ‘ret’ failed in ‘src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c’, line: 1736
Expression ‘AlsaOpen( hostApi, parameters, streamDir, &pcm )’ failed in ‘src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c’, line: 1768
Expression ‘AlsaOpen( hostApi, parameters, streamDir, &pcm )’ failed in ‘src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c’, line: 1768

#2 April 18, 2020 08:35:23

Jos
Profile   Send e-mail  

Noise only

The are quite appropriate.

#3 April 18, 2020 12:53:27

julian_vickers
Profile   Send e-mail  

Noise only

Jos
The are quite appropriate.
LOL indeed! That's .. well, the unspoken of downside to Linux I guess. There's ALWAYS tinkering to be done.

I'm going to unload my Jack setup and try Jammr with setting a little more like yours - I'll let you know what I find.

-J

-J
Chaotic Good

#4 April 18, 2020 13:50:45

julian_vickers
Profile   Send e-mail  

Noise only

Jos, here's what I got… hopefully it's forward movement.

When I quit using Jack and went to PulseAudio, Jammr became a WHOLE lot more fussy to deal with. I was able to re-create your issue (hearing noise only) with the “default” input device. I cycled through all of the input devices and every one of them had their individual device causing its own unique issues (including the one you tried earlier bypassing PulseAudio altogether). Some were much more stable than others, with the magic answer, in my case, being “pulse” - the only problem I got using that one was the occasional underrun.

I know you tinkered a little with the audio devices earlier, but have you cycled through the available devices to see wha the differences in behavior are? I know it's not much, but maybe one more thing to try.

-J
Chaotic Good

#5 April 18, 2020 20:28:11

Jos
Profile   Send e-mail  

Noise only

Jukian, you made my day! you mentioning the J-word made me try QjackCtl. Now it works! I simply did not know Jack could be used. Jamulus start Jack automatically, which made me lazy.
W.r.t. Linux: it is an OS that waits to serve me, Windows is doing things on its own which can be annoying.

#6 April 18, 2020 23:48:31

julian_vickers
Profile   Send e-mail  

Noise only

Jos
Jukian, you made my day! you mentioning the J-word made me try QjackCtl. Now it works! I simply did not know Jack could be used. Jamulus start Jack automatically, which made me lazy.W.r.t. Linux: it is an OS that waits to serve me, Windows is doing things on its own which can be annoying.

Yasss, that's awesome! I didn't wanna presume to steer you towards Jack and so was trying to plumb in Pulse, but - IMO - Jack is the more solid option if you can use it.

So now we get to jam together sometime, sweet!

I'll ahh… *ahem* close this ticket

Good to have met you here, sir (or ma'am) as the case may be.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and re: Linux… I can see that you understand why we fart around with what can be such an annoying journey at times, and ALWAYS happy to see a fellow *nixer on here.

TO THE NERDS!

-J
Chaotic Good

Edited julian_vickers (April 18, 2020 23:49:50)

#7 April 20, 2020 17:40:24

stefanha
Profile   Send e-mail  

Noise only

Glad you found a solution, Jos! Thanks for helping julian_vickers.

#8 April 20, 2020 19:34:48

julian_vickers
Profile   Send e-mail  

Noise only

My pleasure! Look forward to one more jammer out there.

-J
Chaotic Good

Board footer

Moderator control