• Root
  • » News
  • » jammr Premium is now available! [RSS Feed]

#1 April 17, 2020 19:02:34

captaincancel
Profile   Send e-mail  

jammr Premium is now available!

Trapodactylus
Very disappointing to find that the beta version has just been flipped to paying. €9.99 is too much, I think you won’t have that many people willing to pay for this as the problem with latency has not been improved.

Well, if you mean the latency inherent with the Internet, you're not going to solve this with a few more lines of code.

Quantum physics? Maybe.

Anecdotally, Jammr reports the lowest latency figures for me compared with other online jamming software I've tried, so there is that.

Edited captaincancel (April 17, 2020 19:02:48)

#2 April 17, 2020 23:14:24

nekel
Profile   Send e-mail  

I signed up for premium just minutes before reading stefanha's statement here. It was quiet obvious that the pandemic made a huge impact on the load of the project, as I also only joined recently but already enjoying jamming very much. You can say 10$/£/€ might be to much, but if I count the numbers of hours I spend playing, it will end up being probably close to a few cents per hour. The other part is that by signing up for premium you support this project and that's a very important point, it will enable and motivate the staff to improve and maintain it.

#3 April 18, 2020 04:53:29

stefanha
Profile   Send e-mail  

For questions about latency, please read the “How it works page”:
https://jammr.net/howitworks.html

jammr is live but not real-time. It allows you to jam in sync with others, even on slow internet connections, but it's different from playing together in real life.

Here is a guide to jamming together successfully: https://forum.jammr.net/topic/1724/
Here is an in-depth explanation of how it works: https://forum.jammr.net/topic/1719/

#4 April 18, 2020 04:59:07

stefanha
Profile   Send e-mail  

nekel
I signed up for premium just minutes before reading stefanha's statement here. It was quiet obvious that the pandemic made a huge impact on the load of the project, as I also only joined recently but already enjoying jamming very much. You can say 10$/£/€ might be to much, but if I count the numbers of hours I spend playing, it will end up being probably close to a few cents per hour. The other part is that by signing up for premium you support this project and that's a very important point, it will enable and motivate the staff to improve and maintain it.

Thank you, nekel!

#5 April 18, 2020 05:07:13

stefanha
Profile   Send e-mail  

captaincancel
I would happily fork over the premium fee a month if I could host private jams and invite free members.

Good points have been made about private jams: if your friends don't get Premium then there is little reason for you to get Premium.

I'm considering different models to solve this problem. I can't promise anything yet, but hope to come up with a solution that makes it easier to have private jams even if not everyone can pay.

Thank you!

#6 April 18, 2020 16:53:56

spoofofallspoofs
Profile   Send e-mail  

I have no problem paying. It’s worth it. But what would make me go sign up right now for premium is allowing me to start a private jam and invite others in regardless if they have premium. Just Like how zoom does it.

I would also contribute to a kickstarter campaign or happy to make a donation if the above can’t be done. But without that, private jams won’t happen cause I can only invite others in who also have premium.

——————————-
Guitar/Keys/DrumLoops + Chaos

#7 April 19, 2020 00:56:40

chernden

When I found this program, me and my band were optimistic it could be the answer to quarantine jams and possibly future jams. we are only interested in private jams.

However, with the current pay structure, it's not a good option for what we would actually get.
There's no way to try the program before we buy. (again, not interested in public jams, i see that is an option). last thing I want is Larry Canary on the Pan Flute ripping into my session while I'm Chugging Six Six riffs at 184 BPM through a 5150.

And it's a very bare bones program, no way to check and see volume levels. No video. How do we know if there is constant latency / program crashes, etc…etc. You definitely need a trial period for private jams. And 10 bucks per person a month is a bit of a stretch. (per person)

The concept is great, Just some constructive feedback from a potential customer.
We will check back in a while and see if the product evolves. Until then, there's Ninjam, Jamkazam, and others fighting for a piece of the quarantine jam pie!

Good luck, and keep on Jamming!

#8 April 19, 2020 02:04:11

eb_liveDrums
Profile   Send e-mail  

I want to echo what others have said. I really appreciate the Jammr platform, and I plan on supporting it with a premium membership soon, but right now the premium features don't make a lot of sense.

I don't think the concept of private jams makes sense given the current state of the platform. There are no profiles, you can't add people as friends, and when you're in a public jam you have no idea who is playing what instrument, everyone is basically anonymous. The only way to communicate is to stop playing and type, or keep a switched mic near you and talk to people with the delay interval. And you have no idea if someone else is a premium member or not, so what are you going to do, jump into a public jam, interrupt, and try to poach premium players to join a private jam? It just doesn't make any sense.

I spent a few hours jamming today, and an hour ago I got a PM from someone, on the forums, saying they enjoyed the jam and want to play again. This should be integrated into the application!

Here is how I would suggest premium should work:

- Add social features like friending other players, and let me see which of my friends are online.
- If I'm in a public jam, show me which players are premium and let us message each other in the app.
- Make premium members be admins for public channels if there are no other admins present. Do a first in first out method, only one admin at a time. Indicate who is the admin in the UI.
- Let admin set the audio levels for people in the room (you need to add the feature first, I know). If you gave me a slider for each person and a number field (-inf to 0db), I could get the whole room mixed without having to rely on other people to be recording engineers.
- Premium users can start private jams, but they can invite anyone into them.

The people who want to pay for premium will want to make the service better for everyone. We will teach the new users how to use the service. We will ask our friends to try the platform, but not if there's an immediate paywall between them and us.

#9 April 19, 2020 07:38:08

stefanha
Profile   Send e-mail  

Hi,
Thanks for the discussion about private jams! From now on free users can join private jams .

Just announced here:
https://forum.jammr.net/topic/1974/

Happy jamming,

#10 April 19, 2020 07:40:58

cjacoby
Profile   Send e-mail  

👍👍👍 Many many Thanks! 👍👍😁

• Root
  • » News
  • » jammr Premium is now available![RSS Feed]

Board footer