Search - User list
Full Version: Warn about feedback
Root » Wishlist and suggestions » Warn about feedback
LindaL
Hi Stefan,

jammr is fantastic. Thanks so much for developing it. I've had a ton of fun jamming.

I could come up with lots of suggestions but my #1 priority would be this:
- After logging in, before getting to the connect screen, put up a box: Are you wearing headphones? with checkboxes yes and no.
- If they answer yes, let ‘em in.
- If they answer no, don’t let them in and give a friendly message like: If you connect without headphones, you'll create a loud squealing noice (called feedback) for others that are jamming. Please be kind, get some headphones (or earbuds are ok), and then come back and join us.

Thanks,
Linda
julian_vickers
LindaL
Hi Stefan,jammr is fantastic. Thanks so much for developing it. I've had a ton of fun jamming.I could come up with lots of suggestions but my #1 priority would be this:- After logging in, before getting to the connect screen, put up a box: Are you wearing headphones? with checkboxes yes and no.- If they answer yes, let ‘em in.- If they answer no, don’t let them in and give a friendly message like: If you connect without headphones, you'll create a loud squealing noice (called feedback) for others that are jamming. Please be kind, get some headphones (or earbuds are ok), and then come back and join us.Thanks,Linda

Not a bad idea! There are, however, some times that a muso can connect to external speaker and play without worries about feedback - it depends on the setup.

That being said, getting back to the gist of your idea (the desire to prevent feedback) I think this is a fantastic thought. I have seen platforms in the past that do a “feedback check” on entry and mute the player if feedback is detected… maybe something like that could be implemented?
KeysDan
Hi.
What the point of the option « play back my audio » ?
If unchecked would there still be a feedback loop?
julian_vickers
KeysDan
Hi. What the point of the option « play back my audio » ?If unchecked would there still be a feedback loop?

Hey Dan,

That's there to provide for a monitoring source if the user doesn't use hardware or some other monitoring solution.If that were your sole source of monitoring and you turn it off, then yes - it would break the feedback loop. However,if you're using other monitoring sources then the same feedback prevention rules apply… i.e. don't use a mic and blast the mic output from monitor speakers, that sort of thing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.