Search - User list
Full Version: Using an M-Audio M-Track Plus and Alesis SR18 with jammr
Root » Technical support » Using an M-Audio M-Track Plus and Alesis SR18 with jammr
mdc
Hi All,

I was able to get an Alesis SR18 drum machine to have its tempo controlled by jammr using MIDI.

My setup is:

Alesis SR18 drum machine => M-Audio M-Track Plus USB audio+MIDI interface => MacBook Pro

Connections are:
M-Track Plus MIDI-OUT => SR18 MIDI-IN (using a regular 5-pin MIDI cable)
SR18 MAIN-LEFT => M-Track Plus Guitar-Right-Input (using a regular 1/4" TS guitar cable)

In jammr preferences I set MIDI transmit and receive to the M-Track Plus and also I checked the box that says:
Send tempo to external apps and devices.

In the SR18 system setup, I used the following settings:
- MIDI CH 01
- BASS IN ON V1
- BASS OUT OFF
- NOTE N/A
- CLOCK IN ON
- CLOCKOUT OFF
- MIDITHRU OFF
- PRGCHNG OFF
- TEMPO GLOBAL
- NOTE MAP N/A
- SET MODE PATT
- LEDS ON
- BACKLITE 05

The main settings that seem to matter are:
- MIDI CH 01
- CLOCK IN ON
- CLOCKOUT OFF
- TEMPO GLOBAL

I then saved the settings to make them stick.

So with this setup, when I do:
!vote bpm 120
in jammr's chat window jammr tells the SR18 via MIDI to set tempo 120 (assuming it is playing something)

I just got it to work and am still playing with it, but it's looking promising so far for having a way to have tempo-sensitive drums in a jammr session.

One thing I notice is that if the tempo on jammr is at 120 and it thinks it has already sent a MIDI command to set the tempo, if I change the tempo to something else on the SR18 and ask jammr to set the tempo to 120 again, it won't send the MIDI command, probably because it already thinks it is already at that tempo.

Anyway, I hope this helps save someone some time setting up a drum machine with jammr.

/ Marty /
stefanha
Thanks for posting this guide to setting up MIDI tempo with a drum machine!

I look forward to jamming with you.
Stefan
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.