Search - User list
Full Version: Problem running jammr on linux: jack server required?
Root » Technical support » Problem running jammr on linux: jack server required?
1 2
Cri
Hi, I installed the jammr-client .deb package on my Debian system, but when I run jammr, I only get the following messages:

ALSA lib pcm.c:2239:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.rear
ALSA lib pcm.c:2239:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.center_lfe
ALSA lib pcm.c:2239:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.side
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:961:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) The dmix plugin supports only playback stream
Cannot connect to server socket err = File o directory non esistente
Cannot connect to server request channel
jack server is not running or cannot be started

…and the process hangs until I ctrl-C.

Is the jack server required to run jammr? (I have pulseaudio on my system)
Or is there any other problem?
stefanha
No, JACK is not required. The reason you see the message is because jammr uses the PortAudio cross-platform audio library. PortAudio will try various sound systems (ALSA, JACK, etc) and it's normal for some of them to fail.

The jammr window should open with a login or audio setup dialog box.

Please send the contents of the log file (if it exists):
~/.local/share/jammr/jammr/log.txt

It would also be helpful to see a stack trace. You can use gstack(1) to get a stack trace:
$ sudo apt-get install gdb qtbase5-dbg libogg-dbg libvorbis-dbg portaudio19-dbg libportmidi-dbg
$ jammr &
…wait until you feel the program hangs…
$ gstack $(pgrep jammr)

Thanks,
Stefan
Cri
Thanks! I'm attaching my log.txt (though it doesn't look very helpful I guess). I also tried following your instructions to get a stack trace but with the following problems:
There are no packages in Debian for libportmidi-dbg and portaudio19-dbg (I've installed all other packages you mentioned)
There is no gstack in Debian, so I used pstack instead

Here is the output:
pstack $(pgrep jammr)
19728: jammr
(No symbols found)
crawl: Input/output error
Error tracing through process 19728
0xb60871c1: ????
Cri
BTW your package is meant for Ubuntu systems, and I'm on a Debian system, I suspect maybe there are some unfulfilled dependencies (which are installed by default on Ubuntu and not in Debian); for example, I don't have KDE or other QT applications installed, so I suspect I could miss some essential (lib)qt packages. I'm attaching the list of qt packages I've on my system, maybe you can spot some obvious missing packages?
Thanks a lot!
stefanha
Cri
BTW your package is meant for Ubuntu systems, and I'm on a Debian system, I suspect maybe there are some unfulfilled dependencies (which are installed by default on Ubuntu and not in Debian); for example, I don't have KDE or other QT applications installed, so I suspect I could miss some essential (lib)qt packages. I'm attaching the list of qt packages I've on my system, maybe you can spot some obvious missing packages?Thanks a lot!

If “dpkg -i jammr-client_i386.deb” worked without errors then you have the dependencies installed.
stefanha
It seems gdb (pstack) couldn't cope with the stripped /usr/bin/jammr binary, so the stack trace is empty.

I will send you a link to a non-stripped version of the same binary. That should make pstack work.

If all else fails you could try building jammr from source:
https://github.com/stefanha/wahjam/releases/tag/jammr-1.2.4

# apt-get install -y language-pack-en build-essential dh-make
# apt-get install -y qt5-default libogg-dev libvorbis-dev portaudio19-dev libportmidi-dev
# cd jammr
# dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc
Cri
stefanha
It seems gdb (pstack) couldn't cope with the stripped /usr/bin/jammr binary, so the stack trace is empty.I will send you a link to a non-stripped version of the same binary. That should make pstack work.

Tried this, I only get this output from pstack:
'linux-gate.so.1': opening object file: No such file or directory
Could not open object file.

stefanha
If all else fails you could try building jammr from source

Built it and installed it. I get the same results as with the package downloaded from the website, same content in log.txt, and same message in the terminal
ALSA lib pcm.c:2239:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.rear
ALSA lib pcm.c:2239:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.center_lfe
ALSA lib pcm.c:2239:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.side

(the messages about JACK disappeared, also with the old binary, I guess maybe there was some application using the audio device)

I'm still convinced that I miss some software component, but just to make sure: are there any hardware requirements for my soundcard? I'm on a small netbook with onboard Realtek ALC269VB soundcard.
adi
Cri
I'm still convinced that I miss some software component,
try ubuntu studio lts on usb with unetbootin all as live cd. no installation required. i often connect with this software. See there dependencies and judge about transfer in debian. ubuntu uses to be a debian based too.
stefanha
Hi Cri,
Let's drop pstack(1). You might be able to get better results with gdb(1):
$ gdb /usr/bin/jammr
(gdb) r
…wait until it hangs and then press Ctrl+C in the terminal…
(gdb) thread apply all bt

This will print a stack trace for all threads.

Regarding sound device requirements, there are no error messages indicating this. The ALSA warnings you posted are probably harmless.

Stefan
Cri
Thank you very much for your instructions! I'm attaching the output of gdb (I recorded it in a script(1) session, hope it's OK)
This was done running my locally compiled jammr binary (see next message for the test with the non-stripped binary you sent me)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.