Search - User list
Full Version: Using Maschine 2
Root » Technical support » Using Maschine 2
PrimeRadish
Has anyone successfully used Maschine as a VST inside of Jammr and been able to record loops/sequences. Whenever I try to do this the Maschine VST is stuck on the first beat of a sequence and never moves past that. So if I try to record on my Maschine, all the notes just overlay and I can't actually build out a loop or sequence.

Is this just a limitation of how midi temp sync is being handled inside of Jammr?

I really want to be able to live record sequences in-sync with the Jammr metronome using Maschine loaded as a VST, but I understand if that's just not possible. But it feels like its so close to working!!

Any help or recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!
stefanha
Hi PrimeRadish,
jammr reports timing information to VST plugins including the tempo, current sample position, and whether audio is playing/stopped.

Maschine probably needs some additional event or information from the VST host. Or maybe something about how jammr reports the existing information does not work with Maschine.

You could try enabling/disabling the MIDI Beat Clock in jammr's settings to see if that helps. MIDI Beat Clock is a separate way of synchronizing via MIDI messages and it is independent of VST's own timing information.

Hope that helps,
Stefan
spoofofallspoofs
I use a Maschine all the time in Jammr. Sometimes the synch to midi works - I don't do that using VST. I just use the native midi settings. BUt sometimes, the midi doesn't work. So I disable those settings and just synch the tempo and everything works fine.
PrimeRadish
Thanks for the responses! Could you describe your setup a bit more, @spoofofallspoofs? Are you opening up Maschine outside of Jammr and routing the output into Jammr somehow?
spoofofallspoofs
I've been trying to figure it out in a way that I can describe it… but I've also been trying to get the midi to synch and it won't. I know it works because it has in the past.

But I am using my Machine as the soundcard essentially. I was routing everything into it, so I could even use my Logic X to play in Jammr.

I will continue to play with settings. I just remembered something I will try…

I am running a mac by the way. Are you mac or pc?

Ill post back soon
PrimeRadish
I'm doing this on Windows 11. I messed around a lot with Maschine loaded as a VST but haven't tried doing so externally via audio routing. I'll also look into it!
-Pat
PrimeRadish
Okay, I got it working! I ended up going with what you (spoofofallspoofs) recommended; running the full Maschine software outside of Jammr (instead of as a VST inside of Jammr).

I don't know if what I had to do to get the MIDI synced is ridiculous or the only way to do it, but here's what I did:

1. In Maschine's preferences I set it to receive the MIDI clock with the input set to Maschine MIDI.
  2. In Jammr I set the MIDI output device to be Maschine MIDI, and checked the “Send tempo to…” check box.
  3. Finally I connected a short MIDI cable from the Maschine MIDI Out and connected it to the Maschine MIDI In

And it worked! So I'm just sending the clock out of the Maschine controller, back into Maschine controller…but it works!

And for audio I did a similar thing, i routed the Main L/R on the Maschine controller into the Line In 1/2 on the controller.

Note that I had to make sure Windows and Jammr are both using the Headphone out on the controller for audio (not Main out), or else the sound from Jammr and the computer will end up on the input line.

My headphones are of course connected to the headphone jack on the Maschine controller and I'm using that as an ASIO audio device for my computer.

And now it seems to be working. I'll report back once I can test this out with someone on the other side.
stefanha
Cool, thanks for sharing your setup, PrimeRadish!
Loopback MIDI or audio may feel funny, but software solutions for routing between apps can be complicated too. If it works, it works .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.