Search - User list
Full Version: drum bits
Root » Technical support » drum bits
1 2
adi
I tried to find a help file about running a drum loop in Jammr app but i didn't succeed. I used Hydrogen as software. In settings I didn't find the source. I tried to install Jack but it crashed.
stefanha
adi
I tried to find a help file about running a drum loop in Jammr app but i didn't succeed. I used Hydrogen as software. In settings I didn't find the source. I tried to install Jack but it crashed.

Hi adi,
jammr for Windows currently does not support JACK. On Linux and Mac JACK support is supported so you could try there if you have access to those operating systems.

I have added this to the todo list but there are other items being worked on first. I suggest trying another option like a VST drum machine plugin.

On Windows I have had success with DrumBurst, a free VST drum machine plugin:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=385016

Stefan
adi
No chance using software but I partially succeed with two laptops. I put my mobile phone (powered by android) running a drum machine in the mic jack. No way for sincro with the integrated metronome. There is a big delay after I push start button on drum machine.
stefanha
adi
I put my mobile phone (powered by android) running a drum machine in the mic jack. No way for sincro with the integrated metronome.

The integrated metronome is just a sound that the computer plays, you do not need it in order to play in sync with other people. If you have a drum beat running you can safely disable the integrated metronome.

The only advantage of syncing with a drum machine is that the drum machine will automatically follow tempo changes when there is a vote to change the bpm in jammr.
adi
stefanha
On Windows I have had success with DrumBurst, a free VST drum machine plugin:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=385016

Stefan
it works fine. do you know a vst player on order to arrange drums bits first? in jammr i cannot play while running.
stefanha
adi
do you know a vst player on order to arrange drums bits first? in jammr i cannot play while running.

jammr offers audio routing options for VST plugins.

Load your drum machine VST plugin in jammr's File | Settings | Effects dialog. Now click “Route…” and set “Audio” to “Mix”. This combines your microphone input with the audio generated by the VST plugin. You will hear both drums and your instrument.
Cri
stefanha
Load your drum machine VST plugin in jammr's File | Settings | Effects dialog.

Hi, I'm not very familiar with VST: could this be a solution to have a local software drum machine synced with jammr's metronome?
(so I would have to look for a “drum machine VST plugin” that runs on Linux)

My problem is: jammr's metronome volume is way too quiet to hear when there are many instruments in the session, and no drum machine among them… and I'd like to play drums so I'm supposed to keep the tempo but I'm having a hard time following the metronome (especially when other people in the session tend to drift away from it).

So I thought I could run a local metronome on my system (other people wouldn't hear it, and I could set my preferred volume) synced with the jammr's metronome. Is there a way to achieve this (on a Linux system)?
adi
Cri
My problem is: jammr's metronome volume is way too quiet to hear when there are many instruments in the session, and no drum machine among them… and I'd like to play drums so I'm supposed to keep the tempo but I'm having a hard time following the metronome
As I noticed during public jams a drum loop is chosen when a real drummer (and this is the most frequent situation ) is missing. Drum loop often is not synchronized with the metronome but is synchronized with BPM setting so we cancel metronome sound in favor of the drum loop. Jammr app record correctly even if the first bit of the bar starts different from blue bar indicator so we follow the drum loop. In conclusion you can control the bits with an external metronome but set at the same BPM as jammr app and ask the musicians to follow you as usual in a rock band (to be synchronized with your bits!). Your jam from yesterday was ok and you can put your external metronome as loud as you like (or your neighbors).
stefanha
Hi Cri,
If you load a VST plugin then everyone in the jam session will hear the metronome.

I suggest running a metronome application on Linux with JACK instead. That way you can route it to the “system” output using qjackctl. Only you will hear the metronome app.

As long as the BPM setting matches jammr it work nicely.

If you want to get fancy you can connect a MIDI capable metronome application to jammr's MIDI output and enable the MIDI beat clock in jammr's MIDI settings. This synchronizes the tempo automatically with jammr.

Stefan
Cri
Thank you very much for your suggestions! As soon as I have some spare time I will experiment with JACK and MIDI.

In the meantime I gave a quick try to see if I can patch jammr to set a higher metronome volume level, but I couldn't understand exactly how the sound is generated; I suspect “config_metronome” in /common/njclient.cpp is relevant; can you give my any hints?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.