Search - User list
Full Version: Tutorial: Getting low-latency audio on Windows
Root » Technical support » Tutorial: Getting low-latency audio on Windows
1 2
stefanha
I have unstickied this post because there is now an “Audio setup guide” post that covers the steps better. In addition, some of the information in this post is outdated.
stefanha
captaincancel: It does not matter whether you play to jammr's metronome click, drum loops, or to an external metronome running at the same tempo as jammr's BPM setting. You will be in sync either way.

If the external metronome drifts significantly then it could be a problem, but in practice that is rare.
captaincancel
stefanha
captaincancel: It does not matter whether you play to jammr's metronome click, drum loops, or to an external metronome running at the same tempo as jammr's BPM setting. You will be in sync either way.If the external metronome drifts significantly then it could be a problem, but in practice that is rare.

Can you expand on that? Still a litle confused on how the streams could be synchronized on the server-side without an interval defined?
stefanha
The interval is a time duration like 10 seconds. Each client keeps track of time relative to its own audio stream so every 10 seconds it moves on to the next interval (1, 2 , 3, …).

The client receives audio that other users are currently recording, but it only starts playing that buffered audio at the beginning of the next interval.

How can we play in sync if we're not following jammr's metronome click? As long as we're playing a chord progression that is 10 seconds long it doesn't matter if the first chord starts at the very beginning of jammr's interval or any other time.

Here is an attempt at illustrating this when we play the chords A and G for two intervals starting at the beginning of jammr's interval:
me:  AAAAAGGGGG|AAAAAGGGGG
you: xxxxxxxxxx|AAAAAGGGGG

You don't hear anything from me yet in the first interval and then you play along. We're in sync because we play the same chord at the same time. Now let's start the progression 3 seconds into the interval instead:
me:  xxxAAAAAGG|GGGAAAAAGG|GGGAAAAAGG
you: xxxxxxxxxx|xxxAAAAAGG|GGGAAAAAGG

We are still in sync - we play the same chord at the same time even though the progression didn't start at the beginning of the interval. The same is true if we divide the time into eigth notes, sixteenth notes, or even start at an offset that isn't on a regular tempo division (like 1.12 seconds from the start).

It works because we're playing at the same tempo as jammr and the chord progression matches the interval length (10 seconds in this case).

If you're wondering how it looks when we don't follow these rules, here is a different example with the chord progression A F G and an interval of 4 (longer than the chord progression!):
me:  AFGA|FGAF|GAFG
you: xxxx|AFGA|FGAF

We end up playing different chords at the same time because the interval doesn't match the length of the chord progression.

These examples are simplified. It's actually a little more complicated because I only hear what you played next interval, so we would need another line showing what I hear from you. I left that out because it's not necessary to show the gist of what is happening.
captaincancel
Ok, that's a great explanation.
Gomper
Hello,
I have Roland V-Drums, MBox, EZdrummer. I can hear other musicians, I can hear my drums. I text if they can hear my drums and they reply no, they cannot hear my drums even when I click the SEND tab. Please advise,
Thanks
stefanha
Gomper
I have Roland V-Drums, MBox, EZdrummer. I can hear other musicians, I can hear my drums. I text if they can hear my drums and they reply no, they cannot hear my drums even when I click the SEND tab.

Hi Gomper,
Please describe how you want to use the V-Drums, MBox, and EZdrummer with jammr.

For example, are you using USB MIDI into the computer to control EZdrummer and using the MBox for output only?

If you are using EZdrummer to generate the drum sounds, please make sure to load the EZdrummer VST plugin or AudioUnit inside jammr. You can do this from the Effects Plugins panel in jammr's settings when you go to File | Settings on Windows or jammr | Preferences on Mac. Please also select the V-Drums as the MIDI input device and enable the “MIDI in” checkbox for the EZdrummer plugin instance in the Route dialog in the Effects Plugins settings panel.

If you are using the V-Drums for audio input and no MIDI then I'm not sure what role EZdrummer plays?
stefanha
Gomper
I have a Roland HD-1. The brain has a (MIDI out) that I plug into my Mbox with Pro Tools Express / Mbox goes into laptop. EZdrummer is on my laptop. I use this setup for recording.

In the Effects Plugins there is a “Scan” button that you can press to search for plugins that are installed on your computer. It is also possible to add folders where you installed the plugins. On macOS the AudioUnits available on your system should show up after scanning. On Windows it's often necessary to add the folder before pressing scan because there is no standard location for plugins.

Please note that jammr supports 32-bit VST plugins on Windows. Many installers have an option for installing 32- and/or 64-bit plugins so you need to have the 32-bit VST plugins installed if you want to use them with jammr.

Gomper
Then I tried Roland brain straight into laptop and all I get is microphone in my room. I can hear the tap, tap, tap in my headphones from me hitting drum pads, but no drum samples. If I go to Effects Plugins there is nothing listed.

Did you check which input device was selected in jammr's sound settings (jammr | Preferences on Mac and File | Settings on Windows)? Maybe it was recording the microphone and not the sound input you connected the Roland brain to.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.